The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How do you use an IPad for judging?

Default How do you use an IPad for judging?

Can someone tell me what app/program you are using when you use an IPad when judging? I would like to possibly give it a try. Any tips on using it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks. Wayne

A judge this past weekend used the app Noteshelf on his iPad for scoring.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...highlight=Ipad

As I recall the person I know who uses the IPad for judging uses a program called Cliff Notes? or maybe it was Noteshelf
    it's amazing what 2 years time will do to people's opinions on technology. this thread is a little more current

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...highlight=ipad

Battery never dies on waterproof paper. I can see it in the sun. I can spread multiple sheets put to compare dogs easily... It ain't broke... I'm not fixing it.

I use my Ipad at work every day. Have no desire to try it for judging.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Battery never dies on waterproof paper. I can see it in the sun. I can spread multiple sheets put to compare dogs easily... It ain't broke... I'm not fixing it.

I use my Ipad at work every day. Have no desire to try it for judging.
    You can see the Noteshelf app in the sun, with a Survivor case, the iPad is virtually waterproof (we all know the waterproof pages aren't really THAT waterproof ), you can get about 6 hours out of a battery charge...they make multiple cordless jump chargers, or you can plug in between series. To each their own though...plus its real easy to store those judges sheets...I can post screen shots of the scoresheets and test diagram if people are interested....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

And now Noteshelf can be set up to automatically link your Notes to Evernote so you have them archived.

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    , you can get about 6 hours out of a battery charge
    That would get me through about 2/3s of the dogs in an upcoming 90 dog master. While the technology is neat, and I'm starting to use mine for training notes, I'm not ready to try it in the chair. Pencils don't run out of battery power and paper does not decide to go blue screen and shut down. I have enough going on watching the dogs, the weather, my co-judge, the marshal, the flyer station . . . to worry about whether I'm scoring the running dog or overwriting the past 4 dogs that have already run.

Old school, regards

Like I said, there are plenty of cordless power sources out there to extend the battery life. If you can keep track of birds, a Marshall, handlers, etc with a pencil in your hand, you can do it more efficiently with an iPad. I can draw the set up once, for an entire series, and paste it into every sheet...literally two pen strokes and it's there for you...cuts down significantly on drawing in the set up for each dog...all you have to do is draw in what the dog does and take notes. I know there will be folks who won't embrace the technology...I'm sure folks said the same thing when the television came out too...
    The dog will always prove you wrong