The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we REALLY need a LAW?!!

Default Do we REALLY need a LAW?!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/27/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t1

Now, clearly, in this case, allowing this particular little girl fire this weapon was ill advised. At 9 I might have had the strength and mass to handle something like that, but as this is the very first time I have read about such an instance, I hardly think that we need Gov't involvement. I wonder what it would cost just to write and pass the law. Why do people instantly jump to "let's make it illegal"?

As an aside, I wonder where the author's daughters purchase their 22 gauge shells, and why wouldn't they just use the more common 20 gauge?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Yea because we all know how well laws prevent crime and accidents.

8837febc3ed95d48338853e299625ca9.jpg

I'm waiting for the uproar when the gun grabbers figure out MG's are legal to be owned by civilian's in most states, provided they were manufactured prior to May 1986.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

At some point we'll figure out "You can't fix stupid!"

The media routinely reports on very young people doing things that they are probably not ready to do -
    that includes the pro-hunter media regarding hunting - it's not something I would have done as a parent
    or grandparent, but I do believe in the right of everyone to be stupid - just don't ask for sympathy or help
    when things happen - Junior Handler anyone?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

This was very similar to a story a few years ago where an 8 year old boy shot himself on accident. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/n.../#.U_7kXbWPKM8

I don't think they need a law, but maybe some guidelines for the trained instructors who are over seeing them.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/27/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t1

Now, clearly, in this case, allowing this particular little girl fire this weapon was ill advised. At 9 I might have had the strength and mass to handle something like that, but as this is the very first time I have read about such an instance, I hardly think that we need Gov't involvement. I wonder what it would cost just to write and pass the law. Why do people instantly jump to "let's make it illegal"?

As an aside, I wonder where the author's daughters purchase their 22 gauge shells, and why wouldn't they just use the more common 20 gauge?
    She is referring to a .22 rifle.

In a case like this, the parents should be investigated by the Department of Moron Control. What a couple of IDIOTS. To have to live with this is fitting punishment and I hope it haunts them for life.

I only feel sorry for the little girl. Maybe at 9 she can get over it without being screwed up for life.

Just Plain Dumb Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    She is referring to a .22 rifle.

In a case like this, the parents should be investigated by the Department of Moron Control. What a couple of IDIOTS. To have to live with this is fitting punishment and I hope it haunts them for life.

I only feel sorry for the little girl. Maybe at 9 she can get over it without being screwed up for life.

Just Plain Dumb Regards
    I can only guess the parents were not experts in full automatic uzis. I would have thought it safe if my child was there being supervised by a trained professional. I like to see my kids out shooting and before the story a few years ago, I can guarantee I would have had them try it. I mean what a cool opportunity it would have been.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The media routinely reports on very young people doing things that they are probably not ready to do -
    that includes the pro-hunter media regarding hunting - it's not something I would have done as a parent
    or grandparent, but I do believe in the right of everyone to be stupid - just don't ask for sympathy or help
    when things happen - Junior Handler anyone?
    Are you saying the Junior Handler program is a bad thing????? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I can only guess the parents were not experts in full automatic uzis. I would have thought it safe if my child was there being supervised by a trained professional. I like to see my kids out shooting and before the story a few years ago, I can guarantee I would have had them try it. I mean what a cool opportunity it would have been.
    I would have to agree. The parents relied on the "professional" deeming it safe. An uzi is a very hard weapon to control, no way is it safe for a kid. When I have my kids shoot there is only ever one round in the gun even in a semi-auto.