The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GM/Unions Back to Tennessee

If Tenn is a right to work state, I don't see what the problem is, unless this statement "These workers will be members of the UAW" means it will be a closed shop?. Texas has always been a right to work state so as far as I know, there is no such thing as a closed shop in Texas and if Tenn is also a right to work state, I would think that the same would be true there.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    So shiney, are you basing you opinion just from the info on the original post or do you have other information you can provide us?
    Only by the original post. If any politician would rather have the jobs go or stay somewhere else, because they are against having unions represent the workers, they are pretty stupid. Doesn't matter what party affiliation they have. Jobs are jobs, and to deprive people of an opportunity to have gainful employment because they are against unions is insane.
    James Durfee A.K.A Shinyhead

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Interesting that all the stories on it read like a press release from GM. Talks about how much GM is investing but not one word how much they got in tax incentives, kickbacks, etc. Good for the area, they deserved it after GM ruined the Saturn brand by turning it union.
    How did they ruin the Saturn brand by turning it union. That's a stretch. Please elaborate. What does a union have to do with brand equity?
    James Durfee A.K.A Shinyhead

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    Only by the original post. If any politician would rather have the jobs go or stay somewhere else, because they are against having unions represent the workers, they are pretty stupid. Doesn't matter what party affiliation they have. Jobs are jobs, and to deprive people of an opportunity to have gainful employment because they are against unions is insane.
    So you have no idea what the cost was to the taxpayer to bring those jobs in? Or in this case mostly keep jobs they already had? If "jobs are jobs" would spending say $1 million of tax incentives per job be worth it? Did you oppose the Solyndra jobs that we paid more than that for that no longer exist??

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Why don't you naysayers go back to the original thread where VW got millions of local Chattanoga and TN state taxpayers monies to build that non-union plant. The vote went against the UAW but there was a recent compromise where VW said they would not oppose the UAW in the future because of their German Work Council agreements.

Corker's principles do not put food on somebody's plate.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Why don't you naysayers go back to the original thread where VW got millions of local Chattanoga and TN state taxpayers monies to build that non-union plant. The vote went against the UAW but there was a recent compromise where VW said they would not oppose the UAW in the future because of their German Work Council agreements.

Corker's principles do not put food on somebody's plate.
    i am confused, you are saying Corkers' principles are costing Tenn jobs? the original post talks of new jobs coming to Tenn.

aandw - read roseberry post #7. Further we discussed for up to two months the UAW vote at the VW Chattanoga plant w/many anti-union people having no problem w/TN state/county/city leaders giving tax money to VW to build. Fair is fair. Too much to rehash here.

Sounds like the Union and GM have a deal in place. Politicians should be happy workers are going back to work and support the State by paying taxes.

Working in Aviation I can tell you, the quality of Parts that come from Mexico are junk... they can't keep the work force for long... Once they save enough money , they just don't show up for work, and then the new replacement has to be trained who in a short time will also leave.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    So all the bs you are spewing is based on a post that says Corker didn't attend a ceremony! Are you using a crystal ball or magic cards?
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Interesting that all the stories on it read like a press release from GM. Talks about how much GM is investing but not one word how much they got in tax incentives, kickbacks, etc. Good for the area, they deserved it after GM ruined the Saturn brand by turning it union.
    Say what??? Saturn workers were UAW members from day one.

JS
    Dont wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve. Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON