The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GM/Unions Back to Tennessee

IowaBayDog- that's the point we both did our turn and we both get NO pension ! End of story.

As to the original Spring Hill pre-2004 investment that is another issue. GM/UAW/Saturn.

The current one re: Cadillacs being produced @ Spring Hill is the topic at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    I don't know what the incentives to bring them back is monetarily, that is a fact. It just bothers me that people are so against anything with a Union tied to it. The way I figure it, even if they are gone after 2 years, that's 2 years that they are working and not being on UE and other assistance programs

What really bothers me is someone that ASSumes all kinds of crap and really has no clue. You constantly assume you know what is in someones mind or heart and you couldn't pick them out if they were standing in front of you. I really have no opinion at this point because I know nothing other than what was in the original post. I do agree with Iowa though as to many times governments at all levels spend money foolishly to attract business or "jobs" that never deliever the "jobs" only to find out that a few lined their pockets with taxpayer money!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Back to the original thoughts. Greedy, capitalist GM moved jobs to Mexico to pay lower wages. So, why would they move those jobs back to the US? The Mexican workers were doing a crappy job? Somebody made it worth their while to come back to the US, with tax incentives, etc.? Surely there must be some reason for the change? GM's had a tough time with some serious recalls, maybe someone is going to ease their troubles with those recalls as a result of moving some jobs back to the US? It throws the UAW a bone; maybe allows them some foothold in TN (to exert pressure in the VW situation)

Yes, I begin to feel paranoid after seeing the goings on at the IRS and the fact that Holder is giving proceeds from the bank lawsuit to liberal activist groups, and only a small portion back to people who have lost their homes to that real estate bubble.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

hell, by the time they get the plant tooled for the caddy production all the mexicans currently streaming in will be grown, in tennessee with amnesty and take the jobs anyway. shiney which do you favor, mexican or mexico?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    hell, by the time they get the plant tooled for the caddy production all the mexicans currently streaming in will be grown, in tennessee with amnesty and take the jobs anyway. shiney which do you favor, mexican or mexico?
    I'd rather have to plant on US soil. I don't care who does the jobs, as long as they do a good job, and pay their taxes like everybody else.
    James Durfee BBQ pitmaster.

I'd rather have to plant on US soil. I don't care who does the jobs, as long as they do a good job, and pay their taxes like everybody else.
    Might it also depend on how many workers for that plant are also imported from Mexico to take those jobs? We go to quite substantial lengths not to ruffle the feathers of Mexico. It does not help the unemployed US citizens if they don't get most of the jobs involved. Those who work will pay taxes, but will also send money home to the Mexican economy (not spent here in the US economy); and taxpayers will still have to provide social services support to the unemployed US citizens who would rather be working at a good-paying job. The union doesn't really care as long as they get their union dues and the power that goes along with it.

We'll have to wait and see what happens on exactly who gets the jobs.

If I sound like I don't trust these fellers, it's only because I no longer do.

My recollection from school is that our teaching was really very much pro-union ... about how the unions fought hard to improve the lives of the workers. However, over time, watching the evolution of unions, I have doubts about whether the bureaucracy, power and criminal infiltration of the unions has made them less honorable organizations whose motives serve the powerful leaders more than the workers.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Gerry it depends what schools you went to - however your broad paint brush strokes about union corruption , Mexican $US money sent back and etc. defy logical response. It is like saying all realtors are thieves, all teachers are incompetent , all men are bullies and only women know the correct answers - all rubbish. Your fondness for non-unions is clear and you have that right. However like in life , things are not always as they appear. Moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Might it also depend on how many workers for that plant are also imported from Mexico to take those jobs? We go to quite substantial lengths not to ruffle the feathers of Mexico. It does not help the unemployed US citizens if they don't get most of the jobs involved. Those who work will pay taxes, but will also send money home to the Mexican economy (not spent here in the US economy); and taxpayers will still have to provide social services support to the unemployed US citizens who would rather be working at a good-paying job. The union doesn't really care as long as they get their union dues and the power that goes along with it.

We'll have to wait and see what happens on exactly who gets the jobs.

If I sound like I don't trust these fellers, it's only because I no longer do.

My recollection from school is that our teaching was really very much pro-union ... about how the unions fought hard to improve the lives of the workers. However, over time, watching the evolution of unions, I have doubts about whether the bureaucracy, power and criminal infiltration of the unions has made them less honorable organizations whose motives serve the powerful leaders more than the workers.
    Here's a thought. How many here are going to have Monday off from work? Where did this day off originate? I believe the title, "Labor Day", may give some insight on this holiday. My suggestion to the anti-union folks, don't recognize the day as a holiday and go to work, while the rest of us that support unions get the day off with pay.
    http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day
    James Durfee BBQ pitmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    .................................................. ............................................... Mexican $US money sent back and etc. defy logical response. .................................................. ..
    I have news for you.............a lot of the Mexican workers in the USA send a lot of the money that they earn back to someone ( their family one supposes ) in Mexico. Have a friend who sees this on a regular basis where she works. Large Mexican work force in her area.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Here's a thought. How many here are going to have Monday off from work? Where did this day off originate? I believe the title, "Labor Day", may give some insight on this holiday. My suggestion to the anti-union folks, don't recognize the day as a holiday and go to work, while the rest of us that support unions get the day off with pay.
    http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day
    As a self-employed person, especially as a RealtorŪ clients have no hesitation to call me out on just about any holiday, and they also expect me to be available any other day of the week as well. I even received a call on Christmas day, and it was a particularly stupid one at that. I haven't had a paid holiday in over 20 years. I only had paid holidays for about 5 years out of my working life. That was with a small company with no union. It paid their employees well and gave generous benefits anyhow. Yes, the owners made more $ than the employees, but for every employee, that was likely the best job they ever had.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com