The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GM/Unions Back to Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    I have news for you.............a lot of the Mexican workers in the USA send a lot of the money that they earn back to someone ( their family one supposes ) in Mexico. Have a friend who sees this on a regular basis where she works. Large Mexican work force in her area.
    The first question is, are they legal workers? Are we going to start telling people where to spend their money? Slippery slope as many have said before.
    James Durfee BBQ pitmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    The first question is, are they legal workers? Are we going to start telling people where to spend their money? Slippery slope as many have said before.
    You missed my point. I was talking to someone about a sentence in their post.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    You missed my point. I was talking to someone about a sentence in their post.
    I took it to mean that you were against Mexicans getting the jobs.

I took it to mean that you were against Mexicans getting the jobs.
    Let me try to make it clear to you...............workers from other countries send money to where ever they consider home to be. It was not about money leaving the USA. However jobs that could be filled by people in the USA are being given to those from other countries ( some who came here to go to school, and don't get me started on that either ).

Family members work for a company who hires people who can't even understand basic english.................they sure can't speak it and when you have a boss that you can't understand work does not flow smoothly. Evidently some of those people from other countries can't aim correctly because they don't hit the urinals either. Before that company started bringing in those from other countries the bathroom floor stayed clean. Guess what............now they want to blame the janitors. Since one family member gets there early and often works late he sees who goes into the bathroom close to his work station etc. Then there is the guy from another country whoes B.O. stinks up the hall outside of his private office. These are not uneducated people............Try using a local gym that now has a lot of members from another country.
    Soap and water is something that they evidently fear. They come to this country to get rich. Then they want the companies "stuff" made in another country. It comes back not working correctly etc. Sorry but this stuff burns me up............it isn't just the Mexicans who sneak into our country who are sending their money "home". I don't care if they are here legally they are taking jobs away from people who could and would work harder that belong here. This country should not be permitting a lot of immigration anymore. We don't have the room for them.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

The point is that our immigration laws can determine a lot about our economy. Our govt does NOT, and should not, tell people where to spend their money. However, money spent in our economy instead of being sent to another economy is better for our economy. Why should our immigration laws not be structured around helping our own citizens have a healthier economy, as long as it does not "steal" from someone else?

Other countries expect their borders and immigration laws to be honored, why should that not be expected of the US?

If GM decides to bring Mexican workers into the US for the jobs it creates here, it is not a whole lot different from sending the plant there. Our economy does get some benefit, but it still leaves a lot of citizens without a chance at those jobs.

I'm not saying that is what will happen, the scenario was presented only as a different perspective from your comment, shiny, that you didn't care who got the jobs as long as the plant was on US soil. It actually does matter who gets the jobs. And that is also something that is determined by immigration laws, and how they are enforced.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    The point is that our immigration laws can determine a lot about our economy. Our govt does NOT, and should not, tell people where to spend their money. However, money spent in our economy instead of being sent to another economy is better for our economy. Why should our immigration laws not be structured around helping our own citizens have a healthier economy, as long as it does not "steal" from someone else?

Other countries expect their borders and immigration laws to be honored, why should that not be expected of the US?

If GM decides to bring Mexican workers into the US for the jobs it creates here, it is not a whole lot different from sending the plant there. Our economy does get some benefit, but it still leaves a lot of citizens without a chance at those jobs.

I'm not saying that is what will happen, the scenario was presented only as a different perspective from your comment, shiny, that you didn't care who got the jobs as long as the plant was on US soil. It actually does matter who gets the jobs. And that is also something that is determined by immigration laws, and how they are enforced.
    Is it a possibility that the manufacturing is being brought back because the workforce was not meeting the quality standards and GM is thinking that local people will do higher quality work?

Is it a possibility that the manufacturing is being brought back because the workforce was not meeting the quality standards and GM is thinking that local people will do higher quality work?
    Nope, Not a chance. It is all about money. GM is going to make a big buck out of this.

Richard

Here's a thought. How many here are going to have Monday off from work? Where did this day off originate? I believe the title, "Labor Day", may give some insight on this holiday. My suggestion to the anti-union folks, don't recognize the day as a holiday and go to work, while the rest of us that support unions get the day off with pay.
    http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day
    Love getting double pay for a light day

It is absolutely a possibility, and I hope that is a very large part of it. The US workforce was once acknowledged to be the best in the world. The perception, today, may not be the same. But "perceptions" are not always "fact", and this would be an opportunity to prove it still is. Magnum has already mentioned that American-made parts in aerospace are superior.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by starjack View Post
    Love getting double pay for a light day
    re-read. If it is not recognized as a holiday by the anti-union folks, it is not double time. Straight time. Can't reap the benefits that the labor movement created. Unions are bad according to most folks here. If you are one of those that rail against unions, you should just go to work like any normal day. No OT over 8 or 40. Work as much as your boss tells you for all straight time. If the boss wants to work you 7 days a week, you just have to take it.