The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Test Question

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    It can be done. A letter sent to all clubs as a supplement to the book stated dogs that have a sh title can enter jh stake. Same with mh. Both jh and sh can enter. For the benefit of elderly dogs or inexperienced handlers. This was at the nob 2011 akc bod meeting
    Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I could see once the dog titles in a higher stake not being able to run in a lower one.

Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    Dave i expect dog to pick up more birds than that on a morning of hunting so i dont see a problem with the # of birds. But ive been wrong before
    Its much different in a hunting situation where you are able to train and correct the dog. At a trial you can't and if a probably shows up early on Saturday you may be wasting a lot of entries or making a nice trial wise dog. Its not the number of birds per se, its the number of birds with no collar on in a very exciting setting. If he decides to test you early in the weekend you'll have the oh sh--ts Dave spoke of.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    So maybe #2 is correct but thinking not!

Check the rule book but I believe you can double stake the jr and still enter and pass a senior.
    The issue becomes once you title at a higher level ( say senior) you cannot go back to jr for qualifing legs

On another note : your asking pup to pick up a lot of birds in a weekend and unless your really really ready that could lead to some oh sh---ts

Have fun enjoy your dog
    Dk
    Rules were changed. It would be helpful if the AKC would publish the rules w/ annotations showing the changes as they are made, but . . .

Dan i understand what your saying, she may blow all of them

I'm going to speak from experience. Just enter in the JH and get your title. I double staked my dog on Sunday and went from JH land, to SR land, to JH water. Notice I didn't say to SR water because my dog was jacked at the SR land and broke and had a messy blind. Its not worth potentially forming bad habits. We were able to do the work of a SR test, but my dog wasn't ready for the hype of being double staked.
    Owned by GMPR HR UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson JH

Yes, it can be done. I double staked my dog to get its last two junior passes for the JH and its first two Senior passes. 4 ribbons one weekend.

David Cruz

You can double stake your dog. There are people who "back door" titles all the time...ie, dog has 3 JH passes and 4 SH passes...goes and runs a JH test and gets both titles. Generally, the muckity mucks frown upon that, but it shouldn't matter how you get there...

I double stakes my dog last year...finished up her first master pass on Sunday morning then ran senior after that and she titled in senior that afternoon...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Mr. LABS..... Not every dog can do what that dog does.

Perfectly legal to double stake and "back door" titles......

I would almost go run three jr, four senior, and five master, just to go back and run a JH and get all three titles. Maybe when I am retired.
    Fritz Baier
    owned, trained and handled by:

GMHRCH-II MPR Baier's Mighty Waldimar
    MHR CPR Baier's Lady Gabrielle
    4 X GMPR MHR Baier's Lady Legacy of Tru Point MH Certified Therapy Dog

I'll quote the rules and then give an example ...

Here's the rule that applies to Junior:

Ch 2, Sec 3: A dog that has been recorded as a Junior Hunter may continue to enter the Junior Hunting Test, but no further Junior Hunter certificates will be issued.

Here's the rule that applies to Senior:

Ch 2, Sec 5. Dogs that have acquired a Qualifying Score in a Senior Hunting Test at an AKC-licensed or member Hunting Test and have not completed the requirements for a Junior Hunter title are eligible to compete at the Junior Hunter level until the requirements for a Junior Hunter have been completed.

A dog that has completed the requirements for Senior Hunter at AKC-licensed or member events is no longer eligible to compete in the Junior Hunting Test level.

And here is the rule that applies to Master'

Ch 2, Sec 5. A dog that has been recorded as a Master Hunter may continue to enter Junior, Senior, and Master Hunting Tests, provided handlers are under age 18 at the beginning of the test level entered, but no further Junior, Senior, or Master Hunter certificates will be issued.

A dog is not required to earn any title as a prerequisite for earning a higher title.

Dogs that have acquired a Qualifying Score in a Master Hunting Test at an AKC-licensed or member Hunting Test and have not completed the requirements for a Junior or Senior Hunter title are eligible to compete at the Junior or Senior Hunter level until the requirements for a Junior or Senior Hunter have been completed.

A dog that has completed the requirements for Master Hunter at AKC-licensed or member events is no longer eligible to compete in the Junior or Senior Hunting Test level.

So generally, until you complete the higher title. you can run in the lower stafes.

A member here years ago had a young dog that ran NAHRA and Canadian hunt tests because the Toller wasn't yet recognized by the AKC. She completed those two all the way to the top and didn't fail once I don't think. In 2003 the Toller was recognized by the AKC and Nancy set out on a mission to show folks just what her dog, Halsey, could do. She ran and passed him in 3 Junior events, 3 Senior events, and 4 Master events. Then, in one w/e she ran a Junior and passed, a Senior and passed, and a Master and passed. This gave Halsey the 4th Junior Pass. the 5th Senior pass (3+1+1) and the 6th Master pass (4+1+1). Thus Halsey may have been the only dog with the distinction of completing JH, SH, and MH all in a single w/e. Now ... that's a lot of birds in a week-end!
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge