The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Early Teal Season GDG

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Lightbulb Wisconsin Early Teal Season GDG

Anyone planning on partaking in this experiment? I am excited, but still unsure what to expect. A few thoughts to ponder:

Why did WIDNR make the season Monday-Sunday instead of including two weekends?

What is different between hunting strategies for Teal and regular duck season?

WIDNR admits it expects some shooting at non-Teal. What happens if another breed of duck is killed? Is there a protocol?

What is the benefit, other than regulating Teal numbers, for the early season?

What's the best way to keep a high-motor, excitable young dog grounded while these little buggers buzz the decoys?

Why can't parents see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

We are planning on tossing a few dekes out with our goose spread hoping for a bonus bird. I pondered the same questions. Especially if someone shoots a small woodie or female mallard. I have no good answers except for toast crunch is just delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    Anyone planning on partaking in this experiment? I am excited, but still unsure what to expect. A few thoughts to ponder:

Why did WIDNR make the season Monday-Sunday instead of including two weekends? Keep the number of hunters down, I would imagine. They have limited resources for busting folks that can't ID ducks.

What is different between hunting strategies for Teal and regular duck season? None...except teal don't necessarily land into the wind. They will decoy to just about any type of spread you put out.

WIDNR admits it expects some shooting at non-Teal. What happens if another breed of duck is killed? Is there a protocol? You kill a non-teal species out of season, I would imagine that you will get a fine...they will be watching you, so the ol "throw it into the cattails" won't work...if you shoot a non teal species, man up and take your lumps.

What is the benefit, other than regulating Teal numbers, for the early season? This isn't for regulating Teal numbers. Hunters have very little effect on the population size, as a whole. The benefit is getting more people involved in the sport.

What's the best way to keep a high-motor, excitable young dog grounded while these little buggers buzz the decoys? Leave him home....he ain't ready yet.

Why can't parents see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch? I am a Soon to be Parent...and I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch...=)
    On another note, if you haven't already visited the WI DNR website, I suggest you do so...part of this experiment is going to gauge whether hunters even shoot at non Teal species...if too many woodies are shot at, an not killed, the experiment will have failed....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

6 pack of decoys and a mojo or 2 is about all you need. Don't worry about calling they don't seem to care about it. 2 3/4" #7.5 shot does a nice job on em.
    Daren Galloway

Why did WIDNR make the season Monday-Sunday instead of including two weekends?

WIDNR admits it expects some shooting at non-Teal. What happens if another breed of duck is killed? Is there a protocol?

What's the best way to keep a high-motor, excitable young dog grounded while these little buggers buzz the decoys?

Why can't parents see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?
    The benefit is expanded hunting opportunity.

Learn to identify your target before you shoot. A wood duck does not resemble a teal. If your state harvests too many non-target ducks you will not have a teal season after this experiment.

If your dog is too wild then maybe you should consider letting someone else shoot and you can focus on your dog.

Another bad idea from the Wi DNR, too many non targeted birds will be killed. And it will push birds out of the area, so when the regular season rolls around there will be a bunch of complaints, that there are no birds around.
    Good Job again Wi DNR

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dangers View Post
    Another bad idea from the Wi DNR, too many non targeted birds will be killed. And it will push birds out of the area, so when the regular season rolls around there will be a bunch of complaints, that there are no birds around.
    Good Job again Wi DNR
    So, I imagine you have the same sentiment about the early goose seasons, too...correct? Weather and food, or lack there of, push birds south...hunting pressure, not as much...at least now you can have a crack at the birds that WI produced instead of letting the southern boys shoot them all.

spend more time scouting regards -
    The dog will always prove you wrong

"Why did WIDNR make the season Monday-Sunday instead of including two weekends?"

I hunt teal during the Illinois season (and now the Iowa, too). The following are just opinions.

Fewer hunters to "monitor"?

"What is different between hunting strategies for Teal and regular duck season?"

Teal are easy except for one thing......speed. They are not that wary.

WIDNR admits it expects some shooting at non-Teal. What happens if another breed of duck is killed?

You will be breaking the law.

Is there a protocol?

Depends on how ethical you are and/or whether you get caught. Actually, there is no excuse.

They are "there" early and "gone" soon......just another opportunity to duck hunt......to appease those that wanted a teal season? Why let them fly through with a free pass? Illinois envy?

Then again....local big, young ducks are going to be more educated by the time regular season rolls around......and/or move to safer locations.

By the way, the early flight (sunrise) is when most all teal are shot. Good luck with that 9:00 am opener. I'm usually picking up decoys by that time (or earlier) in Illinois.

As for the dog "thing" he's either prepared or he isn't. Don't know many that will "pass" because of a lack of preparation.

All too often it is "take a rope and see what happens" or my favorite "don't take a gun and let your buddies do all the shooting".
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 08-28-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

If you can't tell teal from any other duck that flies, you don't belong out there. Sorry, they are entirely different, even from wood ducks. Hold the shot if you don't know for sure. Happens to us here in NJ all of the time with black ducks... First thing in the morning you shoot one duck and then decide what to do next. If it's a mallard, shoot one more. If it's a black duck you have to wait until you can identify mallards. It's just how it is. Black ducks are the exact same size, shape and flight pattern as a mallard and there is a 1 bird limit. It is what it is.

The idea of the Sept season is to give people a shot at blue wings that are coming through early. We don't have it here in NJ but we should.

They may have left the season shorter because the days go against the overall federal limit of a 60 day season. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

As for the dog... Ken Bora has the best remedy. Rope!
    Darrin Greene

I have three duck flying mounts on my wall in my TV room...A hen Bluewing, a hen Woodie and a hen Ringbill. Not very pretty compared to the Woodie male I have mounted. Daughter dated a guy at one time who was just getting started and mounted them for me. The point, when Teal fly pretty easy to identify, jump shooting from a distance, all of the above hens look very much alike. Teal normally fly in larger flocks..Just be careful.
    Earl Dillow