The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fromm

Default Fromm

thinking of making a switch for my 14 month old....tired of picking up mudpies in backyard...we have tried a few,,loyall, victor and exclusive which has had mixed results but worked best...she has been at the trainers for a bit and had her here and there for weekends i get her back for good saturday....i am thinking of the salmon tunalini..
    thanks
    scott

Just a comment and no offense intended. The dog is 14m and you have tried a few foods looks like 3 She was at a trainers, then she was here and there for weekends. Do you think all that moving around could have something to do with her issue of mudpies?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

no offense taken,,...she had them there also....for 5 months...i didnt have her a ton,,,only an hr away so maybe a weekend a month but visited a little...

Just my worthless .02 but my dog is a soft stool kinda dog aswell. His trainer has had him on PPP 30/20 most of his life. I hate this food!!! Been to the vet a million times, had every test under the sun all comes back good but always just a little looser than I would like to see. I swore it was the food and tried all the big expensive brands. Fromm, Orijen, wellness, etc.. Anyways my experience with it has taught me that if your dog is prone to loose stool a grain free high dollar, super high protein food is going to destroy your yard... I did 6 months the on orijen and never saw a solid stool once and my dog actually lost 3 lbs... Now I just feed him this crap PPP 30/20 and at least I can scoop up 95% of his crap!
    Last edited by motor-vater; 08-28-2014 at 09:45 PM.
    GMPR HR Snickelfritz of Bear Point SH "Fritz"

Quote Originally Posted by motor-vater View Post
    Just my worthless .02 but my dog is a soft stool kinda dog aswell. His trainer has had him on PPP 30/20 most of his life. I hate this food!!! Been to the vet a million times, had every test under the sun all comes back good but always just a little looser than I would like to see. I swore it was the food and tried all the big expensive brands. Fromm, Orijen, wellness, etc.. Anyways my experience with it has taught me that if your dog is prone to loose stool a grain free high dollar, super high protein food is going to destroy your yard... I did 6 months the on orijen and never saw a solid stool once and my dog actually lost 3 lbs... Now I just feed him this crap PPP 30/20 and at least I can scoop up 95% of his crap!
    Have you test your water ?

not going high dollar per say,,,Fromm isnt that bad here....orijen is a diff story...no way going that high...

Quote Originally Posted by James Seibel View Post
    Have you test your water ?
    No I havnt. What would I be looking for? Also I'm in California he's in Colorado... Still is soft.. Not cow paddies on the PPP but generally loose especially at the end of a movement??? I'm always open to suggestions. But he looks outstanding, great coat ribs barley noticeable, muscular, etc...

Try the Lamb and Lentils .... made for the sensitive gut...
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Try feeding less and feed twice a day. I have a dog that if I give him enough to maintain in 1 feeding, stools are soft. I now feed him 2 times a day with much better results!
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

I have actually heard that over feeding can do this and I am a once a day guy... I believe in all the studies done on training on an empty gut and have always adhered to the practice. I could change him over but will have to wait until after hunting season. He is used to eating in the early evening and I dont wanna change that on him now because I will never hunt my dog with a full gut (scared of torsion). Right now he is used to long days in the truck and field and getting feed at the end of the day. During the offseason we work in the AM so a duel feeding schedule could work. But again my dog is only a little on the soft side on the PPP, it was on the grain free stuff that he was making cow paddies..