The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Herpes info for the breeders on the list

Default Herpes info for the breeders on the list

I know this isn't training related, but it's pertinent info for breeders. Most times Herpes gets misdiagnosed as there is no good info out there and many vets have never seen Herpes. This info was put together by a well known vet in the. Lab community and some long time breeders who have had experience with Herpes and found a protocol that works and is current. Most of our dogs are exposed as we travel all over for competitions, but sometimes they escape exposure.

I hope you never see it. It is an absolutely devastating experience for the dam, pups and owner.

Please feel free to share.

http://www.devonshirelabs.com/Links_files/CHV.pdf

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I hope you never see it. It is an absolutely devastating experience for the dam, pups and owner.
    Not very common, but we lost a beautiful litter to it once and it's a horrible way for the pups to go.

Friend of mine lost 9 of 12 Golden Retrievers last summer to canine herpes. It was her first ever litter from 2 grand champion show dogs. The mating had been predetermined by the original breeder of the dam and specified when my friend bought her at 8 weeks old. A devastating loss to all involved. It was so emotionally crushing to my friend she almost didn't breed again. She sent her bitch to an experienced breeder for her 2nd pregnancy and delivery the following year, she just couldn't bear the reminders of the experience or possibility of repeat. It was also a financial disaster as all 12 puppies had been pre-sold and the vet bills were astronomical as she tried everything, including necropsies, to battle the initially unknown cause of sudden deaths of so many pups within less than 48 hrs. The pups she lost suffered miserably. The last 3 were saved with injections of serum made from blood drawn from another breeder's healthy dog.

This article lists a very good treatment protocol. It works. Pass it around!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Great article, I had to wait til able to download it. Having this info available may save some puppies. I plan on sending copies to all our local vets, so many of them don't regularly deal with either breeding issues or newborns. Since most disasters strike off hours, I will make sure the E clinic is also aware. Maybe if others do the same the news will spread.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 08-30-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Excellent article. Thank you!!!!

Thanks for posting this, Sue.

When we started losing puppies this summer this was thought to be the culprit. We did a necropsy on the last one but in the meantime started the remaining pups on antibiotics. Came back as very severe bacterial pneumonia. But our vet said that they very rarely see CHV and as a result most vets don't know what it is and so other things are tried. It's good that they don't see it that often but scary that they don't see it enough to know how to treat it. Catch 22
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!