The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed, Is the SCRA a secret?

Default Ed, Is the SCRA a secret?

No wonder Ed has been quite on the some of these threads.
    "You can train your dog any way ya want. It ain't my dog. "

How could it be a secret if everyone knows about it?

Gerard

What is S C R A

white knight
    Are they Great Dogs or Greatly Trained Dogs ?

Gerard

What is S C R A

white knight
    Are they Great Dogs or Greatly Trained Dogs ?

And why or how is he being "quite" on it?

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

the South Central Retriever Association is definitely not a secret

through the efforts of Bill Speck and Michael Liosis of the American Kennel Club we have jointly formed the SCRA which is in effect a club of clubs.

We hope that all the clubs on the Texas, Oklahoma, & Louisiana circuit will join the SCRA.

Our initial function will be to allow new clubs or individuals who have organized a field trial (like the Central Texas Retriever Club) to hold events under our auspices using our club number, thereby bypassing the laborious task of fulfilling AKC requirements for new clubs. Ultimately we hope to expand our influence to help manage our circuit better. Nothing we do will have any effect on any existing clubs or events.

We are in the process of writing by-laws and establishing dues for the association

Officers for 2006 will serve one year, then member clubs will vote on a slate of officers to serve 3 year terms

President - Ed Aycock
    1st Vice President - Jim Cope
    2nd Vice president - Jan Schrader
    Secretary/treasurer - Ed Fullerton
    Board Members at large - John Russell and Scott Carruth

we will not be sufficiently organized to get the Central Texas Retriever Club event up and running this spring, but they will be able to hold an event this year if they choose to

you will hear more in the future

this is really really cool!!!!! we have in essence been granted breed club status 8) 8) 8) 8)

Is there anything we can do to help? Like, for example, suggest to our local club that they join, join ourselves, etc?
    Charles

I didn't want to put this into out until the Texas folks got their organization formed. Here's the basic information with regard to the formation of retriever FT associations:

Aim: Develop a mechanism whereby Retriever field trial enthusiasts can find more trials to enter and, at the same time, ease the burden on existing Retriever clubs whose events have grown unmanageably large.

Solution: Approve regional or state-wide Retriever Field Trial Associations. This will not require the holding of sanctioned trials or ?mentored? license field trials, or the submission of membership lists, bylaws, and lists of activities or documentation of members? long term experience. The Associations would be given AKC club numbers so that events could be approved and results processed.

How RFTAs Would Function:
    1) the initial officers (President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer) would be appointed by the management of AKC Performance Events for a term of no more than one year, or until their successors are elected;
    2) the successors would be elected by the Presidents of the Retriever field trial clubs in the respective state(s) for a term of three years;
    3) no one club in each state would be represented by more than one person;
    4) The Association would determine when and where in the state to schedule field trials;
    5) Should the location of the field trial be in the territory of a Retriever club, the Association would have to secure the written approval of the affected club;
    6) The Association or the local group approved by The Association will select the field trial committee and the judges for the event (the members of the field trial committee must be members of Retriever clubs in that state).

Effective Date: This can be implemented as soon as we receive sufficient positive feedback from the Retriever field trial community.
    That positive feedback resulted in the formation of the SCRA. How's that for the AKC being proactive? !

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

In!
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I wonder if the AKC rules regarding the number of events a club can host apply to such associations? (i.e. how many trials per year can use the association's club number?)

Is the sole purpose of the association to ease the process of clubs getting started or will the association also put on trials not associated with new clubs?

When a fledgling club puts on their intial trials using the association's club number, how does the process differ from the "mentoring" program that was announced in the fall?

What does the fledgling club have to do before they will be approved to go on their own?

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH