RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Heated Kennel Floors

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Good Dogs 
#1 ·
Building a new kennel what are your thoughts on heated kennel floors?

#6 ·
with a heated floor in the kennel, where would a dog go to cool off if it got too hot? i know i live "down south", but i would think heating a smaller area where a cold dog could warm up preferable to heating an entire floor they couldn't escape.

#8 ·
In commercial kennels with heated floors they normally leave part of it unheated in each run for exactly that reason. The dogs are doing a tap dance trying to get off the heated part.

#7 ·
The radiant heat from above warms a concrete floor nicely
We had propane radiant heat in the garage/ kennel in Vermont years back
We have friends in Manitoba that have radiant floor heat in the kennel. They claim it's cheap to run as they burn wood with the circulating water

The South Alabama life does not require these type of systems.
However if we ever built another house and kennel that radiant heat is the way. That getting out of bed in the winter isn't so bad when you hit the floor
Dk

#9 ·
Well my 6 year old Golden male would rather lie in the snow. But the 10 year old lab would ask you to crank up the heat in the summer. Great for puppies but as some noted may not be appreciated by all dogs. We put electric radiant heat under our bathroom tile and love it on cold mornings. Once it gets to temperature - it will take several hours - it does not pull much juice. Not cheap to install. Mats run about $10/sf plus labor. You can do hot water tubing in concrete for less, but a boiler/heater will run from $2K up depending on size. As noted, great to keep snow and ice off exterior slabs in the north country. Tip - don't let anyone tell you that just spreading the wire or tubing out wider than speced will save you $$. The very low heat produced will not carry through the mass of the concrete or floor tile and you'll have cold spots while the system runs overtime trying to get the room up to the set temperature. If not placed properly on exterior slabs you'll wind up with ice and snow in the gaps. (Don't ask how I know.) I'd go with an overhead gas or electric radiant heater for indoor runs. Much less expensive and much quicker response than slab radiant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.