RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Arguments for the E-Collar

8K views 42 replies 34 participants last post by  Sundown49 aka Otey B 
#1 ·
I find it difficult to argue FOR the E-Collar to people who know next to nothing about training a competitive dog. It seems that people can't see past the fact that it inflicts pain on an animal. What are some good arguments that can be made for it? We all need to be better ambassadors of the sport. The more intelligent we can speak on the subject, the better.

#34 ·
How about being truthfull and honest to start, Kajun, since you lite the fire, why do you not come out and disclose your real name. Its easy to poke shots over the bow when your identity is cloaked.

#35 ·
I think you misunderstood. I use the E-Collar and firmly believe in it. I'm just looking for arguments that can be made FOR it from people that can, and have done a better job of explaining it than me. As far as my "cloaked identity", my name is R. Reppond and I truthfully and honestly don't know how you misread my OP that bad.

#38 ·
Anyone that needs to know how to use an ECollar should go to Shawn O'Shea's website www.thegooddog.net & watch his videos on ECollar training. This is for Joe Q Public, but very good for anyone to watch! And I agree with Jerry that we need to educate the general public about both prong & ECollars. Start with tellng them to put them on themselves & see that they are not harmful. Both Shawn O'Shea & Jeff Gellman (Solid K 9 Training) are "real world" dog trainers & have probably trained more dogs than all of us on this board combined. Let's not be so arrogant that we think we are the only ones that either know how to use such collars or should use such collars. They are great tools for just about any type of dog training that you can think of. Choke chains, buckle collars, etc, on a pulling dog are about the cruelest!

And a lot of the people that we are educating are switching. Most people can be taught if you take the time to explain how prong/ECollars are a form of communication & when used properly, are most effective!

#39 ·
I ask these folks, "can you stop a high powered dog from running across a road after a crippled (flying) dove with a clicker?". My dog's safety is why they hunt with an e-collar all the time.

#43 ·
Over the last 62 years I have been associated with dogs i have seen about the full spectrum of training. It is my opinion that the most humane training device is the E collar used to reinforce trained commands. A E collar in the wrong hands is not that same humane device. My training aids that I use are a prong collar to teach obedience. A heeling stick to teach SIT. A check cord to teach HERE and my thumbnail to FF. While these things are being taught I have an INACTIVE collar on the dogs. As they learn I gradually intro an active collar and very mild corrections for not doing the things that have been TAUGHT. The end result I want is a dog that is tail wagging, eager, and having fun doing what they were bred to do. This is just my opinion formed over seeing many dogs over my lifetime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.