RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dogs need training. Need recommendations- Northern Illinois

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rose's Mom 
#1 ·
Hello RTF-

We are having an issue with our 3 year old lab becoming aggressive towards other male dogs and our ten month old baby. The other night the dog snapped at our child and got him in the head. Our baby is o.k. I talked with my vet and a few trainers in the area and all of them said the same thing: that is can be fixed and the dog sees the baby as a puppy in the pack.

Here is the history of the dog if this matters.

Almost 3 years old, neutered, hyper as all get out, will retrieve with the best of them. Has never showed any signs of aggression prior to this towards any human being. He is the type of dog to lick a person to death and will retrieve a 2x4 if you throw it. Started out doing obedience training in the area along with the Smartworks program geared for waterfowl hunting and fell off of the band wagon due to life getting in the way. (new career, new house, new baby.) He comes from the Troublesomes pedigree.

From my understanding he thinks he is Alpha. He still listens to me but it is sometimes a battle. Basically he needs some strict obedience laid down as well as this aggression issue taken care of or he is going to be sent down the road.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a trainer that can take care of this issue. I don't want to have to get rid of the dog and I honestly feel that his obedience is so far out of whack at times that with my knowledge and experience on dog training I am left stumped.

Thank you. Todd

See less See more
#3 ·
where in Northern Illinois? I always recommend Call of the Wild School for Dogs.... but when a dog is too big for his britches, a stern approach can be a quick fix. Trouble is, he has gotten away with some of his alpha behaviors. Please recognize that your approach to the dog has to change. I like the book "Ruff Love." Based on you are the keeper of the fun, food and everything in his life. He gets no privileges unless he acts right.

#4 ·
I will take a look at both of those book.

I am am located near Elgin.

I am pretty stern with him already, and sometimes he just doesn't care. Hardheaded. Must take after my wife lol

I checked out that trainer you suggested. $1800 for a month seems pretty high, but more reasonable than the last lady I talked to that wanted $1500 for ten days.

#5 ·
You need YOU trained more than you need the dog trained. Sending them off for a month or six isn't going to solve this issue if he's put right back in the same environment. If he doesn't care, its because he's the boss, why would he care what you say? The NILIF stuff is a very good start and its free. Look for some local obedience classes.

How much exercise does the dog get daily?

#6 ·
I agree, we both need more training. I have been to numerous training classes in the area and have yet to be impressed with them. Maybe it was my instructors I have had or something. In my limited amount of training experience, I feel like there are two types of positive reinforcement training; one is making my dog do what I say and actually correcting the problem, and the other is "look at the ceiling when your dog jumps on you" type of training. It seems most classes I have been to around here are the latter of the two. I feel that my dog is one hard headed/hyper sob that needs a better trainer than the old lady teaching fu-fu to jump around an agility course. This may seem rough, but it seems like the few trainers I have been to aren't used to such a hard charging/hyper dog.

As as far as exercise goes, I would say at LEAST an hour a day. Up until two months ago we were running the dogs a few miles daily.

#7 ·
Regardless of what you do with training, you must keep the dog away from your baby. I'm sure you realize this now, but zero interaction now. Zero. Even if dog is on lead or in a crate, he can still do damage in a heartbeat. Crawling toddling babies can incite a prey reaction, doesn't mean your dog is going to attack and kill people now, but, you need help, in home, not sending dog off, and you need a real professional that uses every tool in training, not just some clicker cookie guru. You and your family need to learn how to create and enforce the proper behaviors in this dog. NILIF is a good place to start and get yourselves oriented while you find someone to work with you. Good luck, glad your baby is okay.

#9 ·
There are so many pet dog trainers working with these similar issues with the many adopted and rescue pet dogs. I would start out by asking my vet. Next might be shelter/rescue that has trainer to "rehab" dogs so they can be placed. Then contact any obedience clubs in your area. A certified dog trainer that has specific experience with this issue is what you need. They are out there, keep looking- Good Luck.

#13 ·
Never having had any dog that was aggressive toward my children or grandchild, I was interested when this topic came up. Surprising to learn most dogs become aggressive to family baby once it becomes mobile, and it is often triggered by fear of baby invading the dog's space. Amazing how many people misread a dog's fearful body language as assertive. Interesting the child of OP is 10 mo old. That usually means crawling, not yet walking. So time to work on this issue, before that kiddo is off and running.

Dog Aggressive Behavior Toward Children - Animal Behavior...

www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/.../RMN_dogs_aggressive_to_children....

#14 ·
I would first make a visit to the vet and ask for a full thyroid panel. Please ask to be sent to Dr Dodds. Thyroid problems can cause aggression in dogs. While I agree with the others about the toddlers I am concerned that you state that the dog is aggressive around other dogs and only listens to you which is sometimes a battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.