RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Breeding criteria

894 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DRAKEHAVEN 
#1 ·
I'm not a breeder, doubt I ever will breed a litter. Just curious what you look for in a stud and bitch when you breed a litter.

#3 ·
First off I always want to breed dogs that I like being around. Personality traits are a big deal to us. I also want a dog that I like the looks of! Life is too short to have ugly dogs :) And of course all the health clearances and capable of performing in the trial and test world.

#4 ·
I pick Studs and Bitches I know personally and like, then think about things like performance records, health certs. What was seen in the first pairing if there is one. What traits appear to come up in the stud, done by looking at his pups from multiple litters. Then we look at how the pairing will balance each other. I usually go for a bitch I like, measure what I like in her and what could be improved, then breed to a male who's has all the stuff I like in the bitch and is great in the traits, I'd like to see improved upon. The theory is to breed Like to Like, Get more Like, and hopefully an up-regulation in traits I'd like to improve. If we don't get a up-regulation at least we are doubling up on the good stuff, so your less likely to get pups combining the worst qualities in the Stud and Bitch ;).

#5 · (Edited)
Pedigree- common ancestor(s) will yield more uniform results, ie line breeding. Complimentary conformation- If one is less than ideal in a certain criteria, make sure mate meets or exceeds that criteria standard.
Personality and trainability- Type of dog that you personally prefer to live and work with.
Performance records- Should take into account how heavily "campaigned" a dog was or wasn't, prefer amateur or owner trained.
Ability to pass on traits- Some dogs do this better than others, look at litters already produced
Availability- I prefer located fairly close if natural breeding planned
Health- Not just screening tests, but any history of injuries and surgeries, allergies etc.
Owner of other dog- Are they someone you can work with, can they help place pups.

#6 ·
Sound Stable temperament is primary ( There are a good % of FC's that are NOT lovable Labradors) with other dogs or people.

Health, and not just OFA, EIC. No early injuries, No Skin Issues, and no high % of early Cancer.

How successful in the trial game relative to who is doing the training. Talent is as Talent does - No doubt. However, when it goes from Van Engen to Lardy, , Bruce Curtis to Wayne Curtis, etc. I give it far less credibility than the "home schooled" AFC or basics done by Pro then Half assed trained by old crabby guys who fish or golf as much as they train. These are the dogs your average guy who is going to train it himself should seek out !! Not the latest greatest NFC who has benefitted from 30+ years of dog training expertise, and its whole life being a "student"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.