RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Noisy Pup

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Redhead92 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first duck dog. He's 10 months old and has amazing drive. He loves gun shots, is gentle with the birds, and loves to retrieve and constantly go. His only issue is he knows when it's time to work. From the time he gets in his crate to finishing the hunt he continuously whines. It gets worse when he hears gun fire. He's been introduced and loves the noise, but he wants a bird to drop immediately. My question is how to I stop his whining. It is a huge annoyance and he has scared Ducks off that were headed our way. Any help is appreciated. I've started working on false retrieves. He does not get to retrieve if he's whining and not calm. I also started working on the quiet command.

#4 ·
We we didn't know about the constant whine until his first hunt. We live in Alaska so we sit on the flats with no blind. I've started the false retrieves with him so he understands if he is being noisy no bird. He's slowly picking up on it. Didn't know if there were any other tips and tricks I could use. Other than that he's great. He listens to commands he just squeaks.

I completely understand what what you mean Dustin. He started training at 10 weeks so I'm just wondering how the hell to train the cries out of him. It's so annoying! I am going to be taking him out for training and having him sit an watch others for more patience.

#5 ·
IMO...don't hunt this dog any more. You are making matters worse. You have a amp up dog and you need help from experience folks from your area to teach you how. Most first time trainers don't know how or what to do having a high octane dog. Please take heed. :)

#6 ·
Oh yes he is done in the field for the year until this ceases. Can't have him doing this. It just happened this weekend and it was his first hunt. We are looking for experts everywhere. We took him to a training course up here before and our friend has trained dogs so we are collaborating on how to nip this issue. We are thinking the next thing is to get him fixed.

#11 ·
I have sort of the same problem, except I don't hunt. My 10 month old pup is turbo-charged and was doing wonderfully well on her training program, until the day she began whining and almost breaking (leaning forward with her butt coming off the ground.) The vocalization is nothing less than a "verbal break." She is saying "I am so outta here.... In my mind I am all over that bird at this very moment."

Our plan is (1) NO MARKS for now. (2) Obedience. (3) Obedience and then (4) some more obedience. Meanwhile we're incrementally working on blinds and handling.

She has so much potential. Sure don't want to screw her up.

#20 ·
Been in this same situation, and I empathize. I hear you, but I would reconsider "no marks" for a minute. If the dog is that bird crazy, the worst thing that can happen is being denied a mark. How else do you teach them to manage that situation other than requiring them to manage it or be denied the bird?

You know your dog, so certainly do what you think is appropriate. Dustin had some good stuff in his post, particularly about using the heeling stick instead of the collar to correct for bad line manners.

Good luck.

#15 ·
So far his training consists of false retrieves. I have him sit and wait patiently (quietly/calm) while I go and get the bumper and come back to him. Anytime he squeaks or whines I have been grabbing his snout and saying quiet. Yesterday he only squeezed out to small faint whines. I'm rewarding him being calm and quiet with a bunch of love and praise. He is learning slowly that if he sits quietly and calmly he can do what he loves to do.

#19 ·
Thank you! I will. As of right now he's done for the season, but there is still plenty of time left and he's so young. This work is definitely growing our bond as well and respect for each other, which I'm looking forward to seeing it continue to grow :)

#21 ·
Just an update the pup is doing good. Training has come a long way and we are at the point to where if he does make a sound it's one squeak and that is it. His response to my commands are a lot better and he understands the quiet command. False retrieves have been our friend in his situation. We are now going to be implementing the dummy launcher!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.