RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Tuff desicion. Retreivers from the inside out or Smrtworks?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  IowaBayDog 
#1 ·
Thanks for all the help from my other post I know think I know where I'll be getting a pup to replace my Ol hunting buddy in January. I trained Abby off of Water Dog and she was my first to train. I have both Retrievers from the inside Out and Smartworks vol1 I just am not sure which route I should go both are a very good read. I guess I just need some pro, cons and options of those who have used either. I just want to pick quote unquote the best route now so I can read through a few times before I get the pup. I will be doing fairly heavy duck hunting....plan on starting to do a little upland hunting but would like to start my hand at hunt test as well. Any help on this decision will be appreciated. Again I'm sure this has been asked in one form or another and have searched on the forum but really couldn't find any pros or cons/ comparisons just questions about actual training with each of the methods. Thanks again.

#2 ·
Can your dog read ?.....it's not necessarily the program that teaches the dog its the users application of it

If there was ONE sure fire method to train retrievers, everyone would use it and everyone would have champions

#3 ·
Obviously the dog won't read lol. I also understand there is not one sure fire way. Just looking for people's opinion on what they liked and didn't like about the methods questioned. I have read more than six different methods or books not counting Water Dog in which I trained my first with and I think made the answer harder and more confusion for me honestly. I narrowed down to these two and just wanted some opinions/help. I apologize in advance if that has come across as a dumb or irelanvent question.

#4 ·
Not a dumb question at all. The best program for you is the one you understand the best and feel you can execute consistently within your skill set.
The only dumb question is not asking one

#5 ·
I prefer Butch's written materials, not so much for content, but format. I don't personally like the more of an outline approach Evan uses. That being said, Butch doesn't have video. I really believe the most effective approach is to use Evan's written and DVD materials together. If I wasn't willing to buy the DVDs, I would stick with Butch's book.

#6 ·
Specifically, what SMARTWORK materials do you have? You're getting a puppy. Do you have a puppy program?

Evan

#8 ·
What puppy program do you plan to follow? If it's Smartwork it makes sense to follow that program, as it will flow together better.

Evan

#10 ·
I use Smartworks, both written and DVD. I have Butch's "book" on CD. I think it would be hard to have that as your only reference as a program. I like Butch's writing style and it is well worth the read but if you were wanting something complete to follow step by step I would go with Smartworks. Plus, as you have found already, if you have a question about something you'll get an answer pretty quick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.