RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

9 Month BLM Hip issue

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Barry Ireland 
#1 ·
We have a 9 month old blm that 6-8 weeks ago I started to notice him throwing his left rear leg off to the side a little and had a funny gait to him. He would do a few retrieves and then just lay down or not retrieve. I took him into my vet and he thought he felt something in his left rear knee and had me put him on anti-inflammatory and keep him kenneled for 10 days. The vet also took x-rays and said he didn't like what he saw on his rr hip, not a good joint. The rest didn't seem to help and I scheduled to go to the university with the dog. The vet there looked at my guy and said he didn't see or feel anything, but we did x-rays at my request and sent to OFA. Received my response last night from OFA and they show a slight subluxation and unilateral pathology on the left rear? They also checked Borderline Hip Joint Conformation? Not sure what to do with him at this point as he seems to not want to keep up with the other dogs but his attitude is good? Is there something I can give him if he is in discomfort? I really appreciate any responses.

#2 ·
Sounds like he's got a bad wheel. Bummer. If you've had him for 7 months you've invested a lot in the dog emotionally and financially, but if he came with a 2 year guarantee like most well-bred dogs, I'd be calling the breeder.

As a responsible breeder, I would expect a phone call for such and ordeal.

As for fixing the actual problem, I'd assume most options are going to be surgical and very costly.

#3 ·
Glad you had an OFA report. Most breeders require that on a guarantee claim. If he came from a reputable breeder, they will be helpful with you. Unfortunately, with some who produce puppies- well bred or not- their guarantee is not worth the paper its written on.
Keep him fit, maintain muscle tone and put him on a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement now and keep him on it forever.

#4 ·
Sorry about your pups diagnosis. I agree with what's being said. I have an HD dog diagnosed at 6 months not for a reputable breeder. I just wanted to say she turns 8 on Wed, and she is doing well. She did have to have a total replacement on her right side but she was dx bilateral severe and she's trooping. She gets 1/2 previcox every other day and the supplements suggested plus salmon oil. Her weight is kept low side of normal and regular exercise. She is not a hunt test or performance dog. She does love to run and play now if she over does it, she comes up stiff at night but she won't be stopped from loving life.

Good luck

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. He came from a reputable pro and is very well bred, just one of those things that can happen. We had lost a Grady male at 16 months back in January and this guy was bought to replace him. Not having much luck with the guys at the moment. Will try the supplements and hope this helps with his discomfort. As far as guarantees go though I don't ever rely on them as the price of the pup is usually minor compared to the emotional and financial toll it takes to have issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.