RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Good field trial one liners

9K views 31 replies 32 participants last post by  A team 
#1 ·
Heard a good on this past weekend while judging the Q.

Dog was vocal at the line and the handler sent so quietly you could barely notice the send. He said, "I figure at least one of us should be quiet."

#4 ·
Was running a tough Q & all the previous dogs picked up. Dog watched the retired gun, missed the second throw & watched the go bird. It was a cluster from the beginning! Got the go bird. Ugly handle to the second bird. Dog was lost & returning to the old fall on the retired. As I was inhaling for the infamous "no here" a voice behind me proclaimed "right now your winning".

#7 ·
I'd have been tempted to violate some rules of conduct at that point.

#6 ·
Was parking out of the way behind another vehicle just off the side of the road, not knowing of course about the tire sized 4 ft deep hole that I hit with my right front tire. The truck ended up with the passenger side parallel with and about 2 ft off the ground. Got pulled out and continued on with getting checked in and running the hunt test. Was running a 6 month old dog in Started (HRC). They were using some awesome, big ducks. The pup went out for his second bird, and on his return with his hold on the ducks breast, the wing completely covered his eyes. I had to keep calling and clapping to keep him on course. The one of the judges made the comment, "he drives better then you do blind."

#9 ·
Qualifying land blind. Newer handler fails to blow a whistle near the end of the blind, expecting his dog to wind the bird. Dog drives 10 yards past the blind and out of sight over the crest of a rise and disappears for 5 minutes. Handler turns and asks the judges "If I blow a come in now, I'm out, right?" Without missing a beat the judge looks incredulously at the handler and says "Oh, you were out a long time ago, might as well find your dog!"

#10 ·
I once trained a chessie for a client named Smokey. The client bought the dog at 18 months and I got him right away. Smokey had a few bad habits. Smokey liked to run, and some days he just wanted to run a little before retrieving a bird. I was running him in a Q where you did the land marks and the land blind. Smokey felt the need to do a little extra running that day. I don't remember if I had to handle him on one or two of the marks. He handled very crisply. We them did the blind in two or three casts where others had struggled. As I was leaving the line I thanked the judges for the opportunity to run the blind and made the comment that 'they already knew he could handle!' That gave them a chuckle.

Smokey was a good dog. I always wondered what he could have done with good early training.

Tom

#11 ·
Running my pup in a junior test this year, she returned with her very alive flyer. As i went to take the bird from her it jumps out of my hand and started running away. I told her to fetch, which she did and returned to heel again. This time I handed the flapper to the judge ok. When she was running for her second bird the judge tapped me on the shoulder and said, This ones dead you think you can get a hold of it? Or do you need more training? Had to laugh.

#21 ·
I had exactly the same experience, except after the judge took the still living bird from me, he hung it in a wooden rack. Of course, as we turned for the next mark to be thrown, that bird started flapping and making noise. Of course the timing coincided with the throwing of the next mark. My pup turned to look at what was making all that noise and never saw the mark. I asked for a re-start, judge said no. I tried to run him, but he was not trained to handle. He looked around but never went far enough to smell the bird....we flunked that test....and I did give the judge a piece of my mind after it was all over. This was on a JH test also....

#14 ·
after watching the test dog step on all three marks during the first series of the Open, a well known trialer asks "...you sure you have enough test there judge ?"...the judge replied "...yes I think we do"

The first six dogs that ran were all picked up by their handlers

#18 ·
Q a couple of years ago. The handler in front of me was a young hunting test trainer running his first Q. His dog had put on a huge hunt for the short retired so he started handling. That didn't go any better. He turned to one of the judges and said "Am I done?" The judge smiled and said "I don't know. Are you?"

#19 ·
From the late Peter Lane inn a derby in ID - 2nd series - 2 birds equidistant from the line - dog goes out & puts on hunt B/T birds -
After some time handler asks judges to have the dog helped - Pete says "Would you identify which bird the dog thought he was
hunting for?"

#25 ·
After a blazing run in a seasoned test, front footing both marks, lining the blind, but being right on the edge of out of control, judge tells me, a little more training to shoot the gun and she can run herself and you want even have to be here.

#26 · (Edited)
It wasnt at an actual field trial,, but at a training day for field trialers.
I was invited to join in! I had been maybe two or three times previously. Very green,and very slf concious and nervous.

I was asked to go out and throw a dead bird! Being new,, it seemed like I was in the next county from the line! very far away,,and still couldnt believe you had to use radios to communicate, instead of just yellin!, but anyways,,, this gruff guy comes to the line, and starts to call for his birds,, it get to me,,, the go bird,,and I throw as best I could! It was a pretty good throw fer me! I was proud! :)

All of a sudden,, I hear this gruff guy start cussin at the top of his lungs,, 'GOD D@#$ it Mike,, get yer arse in here!!!..... God Da^$ it,,,, get in here!! He was REALLY PEEVED!!!

I was totally freaked out,, gathered up my chair,, my shiny new training pistol,, and started off across the field to get back to the line!! I was scared shi$less! I didnt know what the he!! I"d done,, but it clearly wasnt good!! The guy started to come out to meet me,, when all of a sudden,, the Pro came over the radio,,and said NOT YOU MIKE,, go back and sit down! The guys DOG is named MIKE!!!

I is such a dumb arse!!

I could hear them all laughing at me 300 yrds away!!! I didnt care,, but felt HORRIBLE for how his DOG must have felt!!

I literally peed myself!!:):)

#27 ·
hahaha...I think I remember that?

#31 ·
I got my first lab and started training and running HT's in the early 90's. I didn't know anything. That was before there were any training videos. I did go to a couple training seminars and learned the basics of retriever training. I read the HT rule book and started running some hunt tests. My 1st dog was extremely talented and we breezed through the senior tests. On our 1st senior HT, she pinned all the marks and lined both blinds. I blew a come-in whistle after she picked up the last blind, which was the last bird of the test, and one of the judge said to me "Wow, I was wondering if your whistle even worked."

At all the tests that I attended, I always watched the Master tests to see what was expected. I probably made a pest of my self asking questions, of the handlers, pros, and anyone that would listen. Anyway, I got to know most of the handlers and judges running Masters, most knew me as "the new guy". I was still very green when I started running master, and made a bunch of really stupid handler errors. I remember running under one of the judges that I had gotten to know pretty well. After we had just completed the test and were walking off line, I overheard the judge that I knew pretty well, say to the other judge, "That was a Ferrari being driven by a farmer". :cool:

#32 ·
This entire thread is excellent, what a great idea. With the hustles and hurdles we deal with all day long it's great to read a thread and laugh through the whole thing.

In my opinion this would make a great little little addition to Retriever news, just one little "quote" .

Again great thread and thank you to all who have shared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.