RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Montana trainers

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Steve Babcock 
#1 ·
We just moved to Bozeman, MT and need to find a good trainer for our 7 month old yellow lab. He seems pretty smart and will fetch all day long! He has some fairly impressive blood from his mom's side. Looking for training in waterfowl and upland bird dog. Not really interested in field trials.
Thanks for all your help!

#3 ·
Don Remien ...Rising Sun Retrievers...many people dont realize Don had Lean Mac on his truck when he won his first NARC, until Sherwin switched trainers...Don is located in Ronan, but winters in Niland Ca from Jan- March...He also trained Shaq (FC AFC Wood River's Franchise) for Mr Fruehling

#4 ·
Bill Totten is the closest to you, though I heard he was semi-retired. There are a bunch of very good pros in the Charlo-Ronan area about four hours NW of you. Off the top of my head in alphabetical order, Rob Erhardt, Eric Fangsrud, Cindy Gunzer, and Mark Madore. Cindy and Mark only do young dogs which is maybe what you want. Eric and Rob train them from puppyhood through all age, I think Don has others do the breakout while he specializes on the all age dog. Everyone goes south in the winter, Eric stays in Montana longer, going down in late December, the rest are pretty much gone by the middle of October. Don, Eric and Bill Totten go to California, the others Texas. You can pm me for my phone number, I'd be happy to talk.

John

#7 ·
You are right Steve, I misread the OP...thought it said he WAS interested in FT...

#9 ·
If you felt you could do the training yourself then there are two good clubs in the area. Missouri Head Waters gun dog club and Treasure state RC

#10 · (Edited)
I think Missouri Headwaters has some training grounds out by Four Corners or down the Gallatin Gateway
Treasure State has grounds out by Butte about 80 miles or so West.

Somebody in one of these clubs would surely direct you to a more local gun dog pro- Try contacting Mike Heard at Treasure State Retriever Club or Anne Olson

While there are some off leash areas around Bozeman and it is very dog friendly not too much for training grounds -
Best bet-I'd be willing to bet you could use someone's hayfield or pasture around town for land work. Especially this time of year.
Bozeman Pond is kind of small for water- There is a pond by the Fish Hatchery on the East side of the road where I have seen people training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.