RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Michael Ellis training a lab for field?

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago I read on RTF a rumor that Michael Ellis was experimenting with training a lab for field work. Does anyone know if that was true and what happened? Would love to know more.

#2 ·
Who is Michael Ellis?

#3 ·
Used to be married to I Dream of Jeannie - wait a minute, that was Michael Ansara. Michael Ellis just looks a little like him from his "Cochise" days. Michael Ellis is also the alpha dog of training the trainer for schutzhund and ringsport (and behaved pets), with a system of his own devising that relies on intensive obedience. He's the real deal.

A couple of months ago I read on RTF a rumor that Michael Ellis was experimenting with training a lab for field work. Does anyone know if that was true and what happened? Would love to know more.
Why don't you just call him and ask? Friend of mine did, on another matter, and Mr. Ellis essentially told him, If you want to learn to use the e-collar as a training tool, catch up with a retriever trainer - they're miles ahead of everybody else in using it.

MG

#5 ·
Michael Ellis has a true gift in that he can explain dog training in very simple terms. He is an excellent teacher. I've met him once and he was very nice, humble, and helpful. I guess I could call him...

There are many free videos about his "dog training philosophy" on www.leerburg.com.

Without a doubt, retreiver training people are miles ahead of the rest of the world regarding ecollar use.

#6 ·
Hi Robin,

I posted last summer about Michael raising a lab (which he still) to make a training DVD. Unfortunately he has put the filming on the back burner due to developing his new training facility in Santa Rosa, CA. I hope to do a session with him
in the near future and will ask him where it all sits. I'm just as anxious to see the results. Of course you can always contact him directly, he's pretty good about answering emails.

#10 ·
Hi Robin,

I posted last summer about Michael raising a lab (which he still) to make a training DVD. Unfortunately he has put the filming on the back burner due to developing his new training facility in Santa Rosa, CA. I hope to do a session with him
in the near future and will ask him where it all sits. I'm just as anxious to see the results. Of course you can always contact him directly, he's pretty good about answering emails.
Let me first say that Michael Ellis is amoungst the best dog trainers in different disciplines. If he has experienced very little of the retriever world then it doesnt matter how good he is as a trainer ,there will still be a huge learning curve if he wants to compete in field trials. A smaller learning curve if he wants to compete against a standard And even less of a learning curve if he wanted a dog to hunt with .

The greatest retriever trainers would look quite awkward and would appear to be a newby learning schutzhund until they started to experience the sport in its fullness. So I wouldn't hold my breath for him to be shaking up the world of retrievers unless he plans to school himself in all of the neuonses (sp.) Every discipline of dogs training takes a lot of dedication to get good at. However he will learn it much faster than the average Joe if he humbles himself to those with experience which I'm sure he already knows that. Good teachers tend to understand how to learn.

pete

#12 ·
This could be true. I just say if you are driving a Ford; do go to a Chev shop to get it fixed or what. I have watched Micheal 's Video & am impressed but not sure it will help me get to where I want better than watching those that are in the game & relevant & currently contenders. JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.