RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

2014 National Retriever Championship

93K views 239 replies 94 participants last post by  mpage 
#1 · (Edited)
Text Font Banner Brand

Welcome to the 2014 National Retriever Championship held in Vicksburg, Mississippi
November 16-22, 2014 …

Be sure to come and check out the Retriever News Blog each day for up to the minute coverage. Post your comments on the blog and show your support for your favorite dog/handler teams.

Send us your event and training photos and we will post them on the Blog! You can Email: tstyan@theretrievernews.com or upload them to our Facebook Page, where you will also find updates and important community posts. Best of Luck to everyone competing!

See less See more
#8 ·
#9 ·
Delighted to learn Bob Crab and Windy had a nice first and second series. Bob is among the nicest people I have met...in or out if the sport.

The other Bill

#11 ·
In looking at the blog pics from the first test, it appears that there was at least one decoy (mallard drake?), in the field. Was I seeing things?

May sound like a stupid question, but in the second series if a handler opted to select out the retired gun first, at what point would the guns retire?

Thanks

#14 ·
From the test description: "...The handler has been instructed to watch the birds go down, then the dog turns to the right and runs the blind first while the flyer gunners stand out and the second bird retires." In other words, the gunner is already retired (while the blind is being run), before the dog picks up either mark.

#23 ·
I know that feeling Bill Petrovish has today! Gman was high point open dog in 08, it was our first national open down in TX! He had been perfect in pre-national training Lardy said he looked like Lottie and Babe in pre national training. We went out in the first series! That was a long drive home!! Nothing will humble you any faster!
Chad

#26 ·
With such high hopes on super talented dogs, it most certainly must be a heartbreaker. No doubt conditions were tough and a missed mark can cost dearly. Yes long drive home, but those blue ribbons riding in the cab will surely help! :)

#24 ·
Most field trials if you do a Texas double it is considered two series. Blind is one series and marks are another. At least that is the norm. No rules say a weekend trial is only 4 series.

#25 ·
Who the heck knows how you do things in Texas. ;)

FYI From the FT rule book Standard Procedure:

3. The Judges, with due regard t o the
recommendations of the Field Trial Committee, shall
determine the tests to be given in each series — and
shall try to give all dogs approximately similar tests in
the same series.

4. At the end of the first series, and every series
thereafter, the Judges will call back all dogs which they
wish to try further, and will cause them to be run in
additional series until the stake is decided.
Pretty clear that Series are separated by call-backs; and a series may contain multiple tests. i.e. double blind, blind and marks, etc.

#33 ·
Come on Holland and POW Those are the boys I am waving my pompom for! :D

#36 ·
Click on the Callbacks link on the National Blog page

looks like the judges decided to make this land blind a real POISON bird as compared to the 1st series...81 dogs and its almost 1pm CST ...any guess on how many dogs they can get done with about 3.75 hours of light left ?

#40 ·
Test 4 looks like it is taking no prisoners based on the blog.

And then #9 FC Salty Paws Hammerin Hank runs the approx. 385 yd blind to discover No Bird down.

I really enjoy the blog and am grateful for those who are keeping it up.

#45 ·
Have the blind planter come out and put a bird on designated spot and allow dog to pick it up to be brought in. Score the dog for the work to the blind. If there was some looseness at the blind because there was no bird, I would ignore that. Not the first time this has happened.

#46 ·
Summary by Dog?

Would it be possible to get a blog summary by dog? I think it would be much easier to follow and generate more interest if each dog had a blog summary, by series.

Meaning, if I clicked on any dog in either the Running order or Callbacks, their blog history, by series would be available.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

#47 ·
Would it be possible to get a blog summary by dog? I think it would be much easier to follow and generate more interest if each dog had a blog summary, by series.

Meaning, if I clicked on any dog in either the Running order or Callbacks, their blog history, by series would be available.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks
Technically easy--just use tags for each dog. In practice, though, they are always behind. Probably not too hard if they planned to do it before hand (and don't forget with all that is going on) say for next year.

#48 ·
Handler Change?

Today's blog stated "handler change", for dog #63. I don't think I've ever seen this before in a National blog.

What, if any, are the policies, and/or procedures for a handler change, and would there be any differences between weekend trials and a National regrading handler change?

Thanks

#49 ·
Today's blog stated "handler change", for dog #63. I don't think I've ever seen this before in a National blog.

What, if any, are the policies, and/or procedures for a handler change, and would there be any differences between weekend trials and a National regrading handler change?

Thanks
NO rule against it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.