RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The day that Camelot died.

9K views 59 replies 38 participants last post by  Gerry Clinchy 
#1 ·
Fifty one years ago today. Where were you?

Sad day regards

Bubba

#2 · (Edited)
you are a day late

and I was in the second grade , just remember that they sent all of us home early that day

#7 ·
Dave I did look up the quote. I wish the definition applied to him applied to liberals today. Today many of our suspicions of the liberal leadership are seeing the light.

#6 ·
was in a marsh South of Ocean Springs MS working on Intercoastal Waterway. Guy that owned farm waded all the way across marsh to tell us.

#8 ·
Junior high, gym class. I remember our gym teacher crying while he told us. Really the first time I became aware that there was a world going on around me that I wasn't the center of.

#9 ·
I was in 11th grade Government class, it was the day that marked the beginning of the loss of innocence for our generation, soon to follow Viet Nam and all of it's societal repercussions. A sad time in America, a harsh dose of reality for a generation who grew up in a great time, post WW II. Soon to follow social and racial unrest in the late 60s through the mid 70s.

#13 ·
I was in third period eighth grade science. Then a few days later watching our old black and white tv with my mom as Jack Ruby jumped out and shot Lee Harvey Oswald in the gut. I was shocked, but remember thinking, wow he doubled up and exclaimed just like people got shot in the movies which I always felt we're kind of fake.

#15 ·
Working in Butte, MT as Asst Foreman in the mines - remember commenting to my wife that the POTUS
was not smart going to TX as LBJ wanted that position in the worst way - :( day, only he & Harry were
men you could cross party lines to support -

#16 ·
I was in 8th grade in a small Colorado mountain town, actually setting in Band class...our principal came and told us all to go home as the President had been shot. My best friend and I started home, but stopped by the community church. This was really unusual, because at that point in my life I was not baptized nor active in church, nor was my friend. I guess we felt that this was something big and that things were not going to be the same going forward...

#22 ·
Bubba thank you for posting this and framing it with the Camelot reference, because there really was a sense that there was something magical and transformative about the JFK Presidency. A lot of things contributed to that feeling but for me as a grade 5 student I remember how frightened we had all been during the Cuban Missile crisis just a year earlier and how he had stood his ground and still brought us back from the brink. Shoot, he could just about walk on water as far as I was concerned after that!

Which might explain why as the school PA broadcast the radio coverage of events from Dallas, the whole school held their breath in shock then one by one first sobs, then full on wailing and crying broke out in every class room of the school. Students and teachers alike wept openly or held back tears unconvincingly betrayed by quivering lips.

Over the past 51 years I have had a chance to learn much more about the times we lived in during the Camelot years and I thank God that JFK was your POTUS, I believe I owe him my life.... God rest his soul.

#25 ·
Nailed it my friend. With your usual eloquence to boot.

I was in the 7th grade in Mr. Stillwell's History class. The school lunchroom was being renovated so we all had to walk down to the High School (a couple of blocks away) for lunch. When we got there the entire student body was in the Cafeteria glued to a few TV's scattered around the room. Not a dry eye in the place.

Like it was yesterday regards

Bubba

#23 ·
Living in Massachusetts. Home from morning kindergarten. My 4 year old brother and I were playing with our Lincoln logs, army men and match box cars in the basement. Our Nanny(Grandma, Mom's Mom) was mending some clothes and watching us. My Mom was upstairs cleaning with TV on. I heard a scream and I went running up the stairs and there is was all over the TV. Mom was sitting on the couch weeping. My Dad came home very early from work, I greeted him at the door(it was a gloomy, damp, cold, overcast day) and he asked me if I knew what had happened and then he tried to explain the enormity of the event. He was very solemn, he was not usually that way. And deep down my Dad was a closet Republican because when we moved to Illinois his true alliances started to show.

#24 ·
Fifty one years ago today. Where were you?
Sitting in Genetics class at The American University (in DC).... Someone popped their head in the door and said. "The president's been shot!" Woody Becker responded, "Who'd shoot President Anderson?" (the university president)....

The guy at the door shook his head and said, "No... not him, it's President Kennedy." Class dismissed.....

I remember it like a movie.

#28 ·
I was in my 11th grade English class. The HS Principal made an announcement over the intercom. Our annual parade before our rival game was cancelled.

#32 ·
Like all here, I recall those days clearly and shared the same illusions regarding 'Camelot' and the Kennedy's.

As I grew up and learned more about world history and American history, I developed a much clearer image of President Kennedy, his party and the things he did during his Presidency. The 'Bay of Pigs' and his relationship with Marilyn Monroe, are a sampling of his style of leadership. Couple that with his early funding from organized crime, then turning on them as President lead by his Attorney General Bobby! They still claim they killed JFK. Camelot was a true fantasy. JFK looked good, gave great speeches, but had no moral compass and was a progressive liberal!

I clearly remember the Southern Democrats trying to stop the Republicans from passing the Civil Rights Bill. And, moving towards draft age, I recall the many times Lyndon Johnson, escalated the war, but yet limited our soldiers as to how they fought and where they went after the enemy. Just like today, trying to win a 'Limited War'!

#35 ·
I was a junior in college, walking down Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, NC., with the girl I was dating. When we were told what had happened, we walked into the Presbyterian Church and watched the TV. Later I was watching when Lee Harvey Oswald was shot. I could not believe it. Kennedy, along with Reagan are the two Presidents shot in my memory. I also remember when George Wallace and Robt. Kennedy were shot when running for President. Tragic times that I hope are never again visited on this great country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.