The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Septic system ?

Default Septic system ?

I am wanting to put in a septic tank at my kennels and ask a septic tank person about it and he told me dog waste will not break down in a septic tank.What do you guys use for your kennels ?

I use a plastic 50 gallon drum buried with a 4 inch pvc pipe dropping into it from a drain off of a trough on the back of my runs. I pour the septic powder into it once per month and it has worked fine for 3+ dogs for 3 years now. I need to use a wet vac to suck out the hair but its working fine.

It breaks down fine.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I would go ahead and put in a normal Septic tank, with a drain field. Use a screen to minimize the dog hair and be prepared to pump the tank out once every 7-8 years.

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

achiro,
    Do you have a leach line coming off the drum or is the drum just perforated with a gravel bed underneath?
    Give 'em hell Devils! PT-42

Thanks guys for the info.The way this guy told me it sounded like I would have to pump it out once a year.If its only every 7 to 8 years then im going to go with the septic tank.

Only time you have to pump it is when it's FULL of poop.

$100 or so to pump it every 7-8 years ain't bad.

I've also been told that a pack of regular kitchen yeast chunked in there maybe once a year will help. Don't know that for a fact but it don't cost much to try it!!!!!

You might want to get the second tank for the over flow water until the Primary tank fills with waste. Primary tank is the only one that needs pumping.

Had a septic system for about thirty years and think I've had it pumped twice, maybe three times. But I also have a large drain field.

Jerry

Jerry wrote:

Had a septic system for about thirty years and think I've had it pumped twice, maybe three times. But I also have a large drain field.
    As full of sh*t as you are I would think you would have it pumped every 5 minuets.

White Knight
    Are they Great Dogs or Greatly Trained Dogs ?

Banned

Default .

I just asked a friend of mine that works for a septic company and he said they suggest a pack of yeast in it every 3-4 weeks.You can buy a box of packets of yeast at the grocery store for like 5-10 dollars.He said having it cleaned the first time after about 2 years just to see how much you used in that first 2 years then gauge from that.

Quote Originally Posted by W Knight
    Jerry wrote:

As full of sh*t as you are I would think you would have it pumped every 5 minuets.

White Knight
    You Goober, leave me alone. I'm on a roll!!!

I'm trying to reform and post meaningful things so Mr. Fallon will think highly of me. Sort of like he does.

And just in case there's any misconception about pumping it, one should not use a siphon hose!!!!

Respecting My Elders Regards,

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You might want to get the second tank for the over flow water until the Primary tank fills with waste. Primary tank is the only one that needs pumping.
    When you get it pumped you should have both tanks cleaned out. The main tank is your primary settling tank and the second tank gets the remaining particles in the water.

After you have the tank cleaned out that is when you want to add the yeast or septic powder from the store to help get the tank working again(and by working I mean biologicaly) and then add a packet every couple months if you don't use very much chlorine to disinfect the runs. If you use alot of chlorine then you should add the packets more often.

Kevin