The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Would you purchase Pet (Health/Life) Insurance?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 22.86%
  • No

18 51.43%
  • Already have it

9 25.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance?

Default Pet Insurance?

I am a Financial Consultant thinking about adding a "Pet Line" to my current human services! I would first like to know if it is a need for alot of people out there before I go through the licensing process.

I'd love to hear your opinions and experiences (good or bad) about it as well.

I just read a post on another board from someone wanting mortality insurance for their dog. Other working dogs are covered, but not hunting dogs. The poster was wanting coverage for her dog being killed in a traffic accident, etc.-not from a hunting accident.

Default Insurance

I had purchased pet health insurance thru the AKC and would not take it even if they gave it away free. Every time i tried to use it as per the policy it was denied.They loved to get the monthly premium but hated paying out. When i cancelled the policies the just kept billing me. It took over a year to get them off my back and stop sending me bills for coverage i no longer had.

I find it easier to keep an emergency fund fo the dogs rather than get insurance or just use a credit card.

I might consider a accidental death/loss of services/theft policy if i had a dog that was worth insuring.

Can an insurance policy really put a value on a dog ?

Lets say you have a spectacular dog with multiple titles that is getting 1500 per stud fee. If he studs 3 x a week x 4 weeks = 12 times a month or 144 times per year thats 216,000 annually.if he did this for 6 years 216000 x 6 = 1,296,000 Plus or minus all the litters he could sire for the owner that could bring 1500 per pup x 10 in a litter becomes 15,000 per litter. Do this 6 times a year comes to 90,000 per year. Over a 6 year period that comes to 540,000.

540,000 + 1,216,000 = 1,756,000 give or take.
    I know this may or not be possible but what would it cost to insure a dog that has the potential of this type of income ?
    Would or could an insurance company really insure my dog for that amount ?
    Ken Adamik
    Lil Dikens Kennels

Well, the way I understand it is there is a maximum amount, not near to what the loss would be, but anything would help.

When I figure an amount on a human life for insurance I have a series of questions I ask, then I fit it into a budget. So this would be the same process for a pet's life. On a person, your need might be $678,932 but you can only afford $250,000...so thats what you buy because its better than nothing.

a Life Policy would only cover accidents to my knowledge. Getting run over, shot out hunting, etc. I know there is a cancer rider you could add on, but that covers medical expenses.

I have only researched this topic for a few days, I want to get others opinions on it before I invest more time and money.

I appreciate all of the feedback so far, keep it coming!

I read a Consumer Reports type review somewhere in the last year or two for pet health insurance. They calculated the cost of annual vet visits and vaccinations, plus figured in one major surgery in the dogs life. The overall conclusion was that you spent less over the dogs life by paying out of pocket.

Buck

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for....

There was supposed to be another choice on the poll..."maybe - need more information". Maybe they only give you three options to put on there?

Any thoughts on Accidental Death insurance?

I just read a post on another board from someone wanting mortality insurance for their dog. Other working dogs are covered, but not hunting dogs. The poster was wanting coverage for her dog being killed in a traffic accident, etc.-not from a hunting accident
    do you know which board this post was on?

If you do a search for Pet Insurance and me as the author you will find a write up I did a few years back - it is a rip off as far as I'm concerned. I now have an emergancy fund set up for the boys

FOM

I saw the Consumer Reports report also. Soon after that my vet?s office stopped trying to sell it altogether. It is certainly not beneficial if you have multiple dogs.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by ttungland
    Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for....

There was supposed to be another choice on the poll..."maybe - need more information". Maybe they only give you three options to put on there?

Any thoughts on Accidental Death insurance?

I just read a post on another board from someone wanting mortality insurance for their dog. Other working dogs are covered, but not hunting dogs. The poster was wanting coverage for her dog being killed in a traffic accident, etc.-not from a hunting accident
    do you know which board this post was on?
    It was on a pointing lab forum, pointinglab.com

If you do a search for Pet Insurance and me as the author you will find a write up I did a few years back - it is a rip off as far as I'm concerned. I now have an emergancy fund set up for the boys

FOM
    I typed in a search on Yahoo....what is your name as the author? And where do I search for it?