RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

HRC "hunting clothes"

22K views 90 replies 55 participants last post by  Evan 
#1 ·
Reading the HRC rule book and says handlers must wear "hunting clothes" ie camo for regular hunt tests. Please define. I've heard the camo/hrc jokes but just how much camo do you have to wear?

Seems silly to need special pants to carry a popper gun and shoot a dead bird...but I digress.

#47 ·
For HRC, the amount of camo will depend on the judges. I judge both AKC and HRC, and really don't care about the handler's clothes but more on the dog work. But one of these days, I am going to do a "real snow goose hunt" and make all those camo jockeys wear..........

W H I T E!!!!! :eek:;-):D

#48 ·
Any of you old time HRC folks remember a gentlemen by the name of Pete Bradford? He hated camo,"thumbed his nose" to judges and everyone else by wearing "African safari style" clothes. The rule book said "hunting attire",had lots of judges stuttering trying to back that one up!:D I never saw him run a dog in any other duds!

#49 ·
UUH Just go somewhere and get camo and wear it if you want to run HRC tests. Some peeps just HAVE to buck the rules.If you really believe it is a disadvantage for your dog to see you at 150 yards, train them more. Standing on buckets, waiving white ball cap liners, using boxing gloves,are all signs of lack of confidence . Just an opinion.

#51 ·
if you dont like wearing "hunting" clothing than dont participate.....pretty bad attitude and statement for someone helping run a club..

i had to run my pup in a tight situation,,,her trainer got stuck at another level and they let me wear my khaki shorts, flip flops, tan shirt and white hat....pretty fun stuff and addicting....

#53 ·
if you dont like wearing "hunting" clothing than dont participate.....pretty bad attitude and statement for someone helping run a club.
Yikes, again, loosen up. I'm trying to be prepared by reading the rule book and asking what is appropriate vs not. And I don't want to ASSume anything, so I ask! And now I've got some shopping to do!

#52 ·
To the O/P I sent you a private message. :)

#55 ·
If its going to be hot temps when/where you run look for a thin button up that has the mesh vent in the back and arm pits. They can be had in the $30 range and no need for changing during the event. Also nice to wear for the dove field. For cooler weather, just a get a cheap camo light jacket a size bigger at wal mart to put on over your clothes. Now is the time to buy camo, seasons over and good sales are easy to find.

#58 ·
I've run tons of hrc, I don't own a camp hat, I wear shorts if the temps are above 45 and wear sandals most days, not once have I been told to change clothes. I have a camo handlers jacket I slip on before I go to the holding blind. I love it when some of the judges say stuff about attire then you see a pro running 12 dogs wearing a red hat.

#61 ·
I usually wear some green or khaki shorts. green crocs. tshirt and a camo handlers jacket. oh yeah and a hat. Did try and wear a camo visor at the Grand and was told by a judge and marshall it wasn't allowed. Now i know. No biggie.
Honestly, I think that is total nonsense, but I also think that it's their day to call the attire shots and therefore best to just smile and comply.

Just leave Jay Dufour's Boxing Gloves in the truck.

#60 ·
As a handler I always assumed I was the guest at the hunt. If the owner of the land or in this case judge feels my attire will flare ducks then he has a responsibility to his other guests to ask me to change. If I refuse then I am not showing much respect for my host & won't be invited back.

IMHO it is more about good manners toward the individual's that gave up a weekend so I can run my dog & have fun.

#64 ·
Only because I love this topic as it always makes me laugh. To the original poster, as several others have stated "Just wear camp, its easier that way." During a HRC Ladies Handlers Seminar as we were talking about this topic, one lady said, "Its about respecting the game YOU CHOOSE to run. Just wear camp." Don't want to do it, run something else. Its all good.

Janet

#65 ·
"Head to toe camo" does that mean camo boots are required too? And for hats, is it just if you wear a hat it should be camo, or is a hat required?

At this point I only plan to maybe run HRC once or twice just to check it out, and don't want to invest more money in clothing than necessary. As a matter of fact, I bought a pair of camo pajama pants that were on clearance :p

#66 ·
Janet,

What I get a kick out of is that most of the people who complain about wearing camo have no problem dressing in BLACK head to toe on a 90 degree day in the other venue. Go figure....

And the judges sit under tents of various hues in BOTH tests. I'm not seeing any higher ground for either venue. Just really minor differences. Play what you like or play them all. Your dog hasn't got a preference or any bias one way or the other.-Paul

#67 ·
It just depends on where you're located. Ask around, your local HRC or the hosting club should have a pretty good idea what will work at the test you're going to. I've gotten by just fine with a camo t-shirt and ball cap from Wal-mart and khaki capris. I like the venue so much that I've been adding to my camo collection. Lightweight and inexpensive camo rain suit has been a great addition, it slips on over whatever else I'm wearing if needed and works well in chilly weather too. Don't spend too much money at the beginning: in a pinch, you can usually borrow whatever you need at the test.

#68 ·
I as an HRC Judge require Camo from head to toe, but I do it in a nice way. I don't keep people from running or take away their ribbon because they didn't follow the rules I as a judge interpret but I do give them a hard time. I tell people they are getting to hunt with great guides and we guarantee them they will get their limit in our honey hole. Only requirement is we want them to wear camo so they don't flare the birds. If I took anyone to my timber hole to hunt and they didn't wear camo, they wouldn't be invited back. It's all fun and games, I've never understood why anyone would want to get upset about wearing camo. I think it's because we don't like being told what to do.

#69 ·
Hey Brother Kim,

Just a couple months ago a man reminded me of a day when your honey hole had both mallards and rooster pheasants dropping in.

He also reminded me that folks had an opportunity to intro their dogs to pheasants before the event started. And some who chose not to later wished they'd done so!

Thanks for sharing your hole with me that day. We had fun!

Chris

#70 ·
That is one hunt test this guide will never forget, if I remember right we had a guide that was a champing duck caller and he called ducks and pheasants in all day. To me that's what HRC is about forming life time friendships. Also that same guide was guiding Bon bon dog to her first finished pass.

#71 ·
For the ones asking about wearing a hat. There is no rule saying you must. I have never been told or have I told anyone they have to wear a hat. At the Grand yes, but not weekend hunts. I hate hates and I need a kid size so always looks a little silly wearing one. I do want to get a pink and green camo tee and wear it one day just to get a rise out of some judges. I always keep a camo shirt with me and my rain pants in case the judge does not like what I am wearing. When I judge HRC, I do expect some camo, just not head to toe. I will not let you wear a red cap but dark brown, green, tan is just fine.

#73 · (Edited)
If camo is a problem, whelp HRC might not be the best way to go, I don't really get the big deal a bunch of other sports require a uniforms for contestants, a bunch of events require a certain type of dress. HRC requires Camo; you some times have to wear a tie or sports coat to go to a nice restaurant, etc. etc. It's tradition and it can be rather fun (some people get pretty ostentatious). But if you don't have none, We got a big ole crate of the stuff in the equipment trailer donated by our members (of course it might not be the coolest stuff, & I question how that camo thong got in there ;)), but It's part of the event. After all What's a bad x-mas sweater party without a horrid sweater. What would a big time Horse races, be without large Hats and a mint julep? ;).

The only mention of flyers in the HRC rulebook, aside from Upland (which HAVE to be a Natural Flush=Live bird). Is Flyers will not be used in Started, although we'll see if that rule change proposal gets any traction ;). Nothing else is mentioned about flyers thus they can be used in Seasoned and Finished, upon judge or hunt test committee approval. The good thing about not mentioning distinct rules is that flyers are entirely left up to the club whether they will have one or not. AKC specifically mentions that a club must have a certain # of birds & Live flyers available for the judges, whether they all get used or not. Thus you must plan of it, and bird costs become a limiting factor. The HRC rules allows the club to decide on which birds they will use, and it's easier to keep track of costs. We've always found birds are of more value when alive, so rather than kill a bunch prior to the test; we try to keep them alive. If we put a flyer in Finished-seasoned and regulate the gunners we get more than enough fresh birds; for the other stakes. We put down enough to get the other stakes started; then have the fresh flyer delivered later in the day, then any live duck we have any left over we can sell them or use them at a club event, a lot better than trying to find storage for a bunch of dead birds.

#74 ·
I found that camo pants/shorts, t-shirt and hat were plenty. At least at the clubs in Michigan that I ran at. I picked up a camo fleece hoodie when I was at BassPro and that goes with me in case it's cool in the mornings.

#76 ·
Seriously, I wear camo pants, shirt and hat when I run HRC. When I hunt, it's usually in jeans and camo top. However, I follow the rules of the game I chose to play....it's just the uniform. Not unlike when I was showing horses....a hunter class wants to see you in tall boots and breeches, helmet and wool jacket, not Wranglers and ropers and a button down shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.