RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pups folded ear??

7K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Gregg0211 
#1 ·
I have a four month old yellow pup and have a question about his ears or ear I should say. His left ear is does not hang down like his right ear it has a fold on the back of the ear that prevents it from having that triangular look when he perks his ears up. I think it is called rose ear. Is there anything that can be done to fix it or help shape it correctly. Is this something that will fix its self in time?
Thank you in advance for any help.

#3 ·
Dorky ears are genetic and carried in the lines of some field dogs. Folks interested in winning do not care about that kind of stuff.

#6 · (Edited)
If it's a significant concern for you, you can tape it to reset it's shape. Do some googling, there are different methods. It's something that generally doesn't show up until they start cutting adult teeth. I had a couple that I taped and they turned out normally, but had to keep taped (and change tape, clean ears, etc, don't just tape and forget about it) for a couple months starting around 4 months. It's only a problem if it bothers you though... I have a thing for nice ears.

#7 ·
Ria had one ear that didn't fold right. Every day from the time we brought her home at 6 weeks I could rub her ear to make to stay. After about 6 months it finally did on i's own.

#8 ·
A rose ear, or wonky ear as Toller folks call it, can be dealt with. It involves surgical glue and Dr Scholls moleskin. I'll see if I can find a copy of the instructions and send them along. It's no big deal except for the fun of putting it on. Remember, this needs to be applied before the puppy has learned anything like the "Be absolutely still for 5 minutes" command. It'll take a day or so to find it.

#9 ·
#18 ·
This!!! ^ I also gave glycoflex I or similar for cartilage support and tape if you want. I wouldn’t get excited about heredity or any other type of attributes it shows other than an offshoot of teething and deal with it.

#13 ·
Ears that are "different" like you describe are a sign of intelligence in field bred Labradors. good thing it was not apparent when you picked up the pup or you may have had to pay extra for it.

#14 ·
ears that are "different" like you describe are a sign of intelligence in field bred labradors. Good thing it was not apparent when you picked up the pup or you may have had to pay extra for it.
:) :) :) what she said !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.