RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Multiple Handlers in AKC MH HT?

6K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  RookieTrainer 
#1 ·
Hypothetical. If three individuals are listed as handlers for the same dog, could each individual handle the dog in separate series during the same test?

#2 ·
Yes. And even someone not listed as a handler could run the dog in one or all series. Just can't change in the middle of a series I don't think.

#7 ·
Who gets the ribbon for a pass-the handler or the dog? The dog
Who gets the title-the handler or the dog? The dog
Who loses a ribbon or a title when this dog gets a ribbon or title? No one

Who cares who's standing beside the dog? Not me

Were this a competition, I'd think differently, but it's not.

#8 · (Edited)
The only time it would matter is that HT judges are supposed to handle and qualify a dog at the level they are judging at least once every 7 years. So if they are not listed as the handler, there is no record. 'Course they could be listed, and not run the dog so the records aren't reliable.

#10 ·
However in UKC the dog must have the same handler throughout. A few years ago I handed my mom's dog in a UKC Started test for the first series and they REFUSED to allow her to run HER OWN DOG in the second series.

I could see in any test where a handler could be injured while running the marks in one series, and ask someone else to handle the dog on the blind(s) in the same series. Probably highly unlikely but not impossible.

#11 · (Edited)
Is this so stated in the rule book?

If a handler with multiple dogs is disqualified for gun safety, another handler can run the other dogs in the remaining series.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Edit: and what hunt test judge keeps tabs on who's running what? Judge the dog work IMO.

#12 ·
Don't know if the 1 handler rule is or isn't in the newest UKC rulebook. This happened probably 3 years ago. All I know is I ran him in the first series because my mom was nervous, by the second series she got up the courage, was walking her own dog out of the holding blind when the judges were like "WHOA! NO!" and they had to run and find me in the parking area to run the dog on two singles!
Then again I think UKC is more about the handler and less about the dog. After all they are the fashion police too.......

#14 ·
As a judge I feel it is most important to judge according to the standard. Since changing handlers during a test or series is not listed as a disqualifying fault I see no reason to fail a dog if it would happen. Hence why I posted to show the rule as I have never read it in the rules. To me it was just another urban myth being perpetuated by the internet.

#17 ·
I could not find this topic addressed in a rule book either (AKC or HRC), hence the reason for the post.

Any judges have an opinion on the topic?[/QUOTE]

I think you've gotten your answer. There is no regulation in the rulebook regarding handlers other than for "junior handlers" and listed faults of certain handler actions. The catalog listing the dog, owner and handler is informative only. You could list Bugs Bunny as the handler. But I'm just an 8 point judge, all HT stakes. What do I know?

#18 ·
Interesting thread - I have never been to a UKC event so silent there: however many have posted posted correctly in my opinion about the AKC rulebook being silent on the handler.
So I have amusement as I see EE and many list a cast of characters as handlers for an Akc ht.

However the handler issue can be important as to judge a handler must have handled a dog to that level in the last 7 years.
It's the ht secretary that is to monitor that so I really don't how that gets done or where you even look
Dk

#19 ·
Considering the rule changes for ACK judges. When I have judged I have been asked by the HT secretary who handled a dog. Haven't asked why but my guess would be perhaps they were looking at future judges and wanted to meet the AKC rules. Clubs are responsible for verifying judges compliance with the rules.

#20 ·
Well, it's never as simple as it sounds.

From a liability standpoint the club needs to be certain that whoever takes a dog to the line has signed the entry. That little paragraph is the basis of the agreement between the handler, the club and the AKC. (Agree to play by the rules, misconduct procedure, etc.). If that hasn't been done, the club and test chair are proceeding at their own peril.

#21 ·
Whether or not they signed anything, not following the rules, misconduct, etc. Will get you bounced in any venue.

#28 ·
A good (bad) lawyer has a lot more hoops to jump through if your club is an LLC or incorporated. If you are in Texas, I will help a club get it done at a reasonable cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.