RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Another heartbreak - Anaphylactic shock... do you know the signs?

7K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  Renee P. 
#1 · (Edited)
As the title suggests, I've been thru a horrible heartbreak about 3 wks ago, and not only w/ a single dog but she had a 1 wk old litter. Anaphylactic shock took her within 2hrs of whatever got her.

The scenario was this. She was her normal wiggly self at 430pm when we went out to get the mail. Had a business visit a few minutes later (checked on Roxy's babies while visitors were here too) but I crated her and the other pup while they were here. Fed all, then Roxy nursed her 1 wk old puppies. Then went out for 10-15 min to potty. I suspect she crawled under the low platform deck (hot tub deck) to nest a bit. Came in, threw up her dinner in her whelping box and I gave her a hard time thinking she was regurging already for the pups. A few minutes later, I noticed her gums were pale, and I felt them. They were COLD. I took her temp... normal, so that threw me off. I brought her in to get my bearings, call the vet, and in the meantime started to warm the puppy box as I felt an emergency visit was going to happen. My vet clinic responded w/ a call back to go to Emergency as she may need blood (on my mind too though thought the rectal temp of normal was odd for a bleed out). When we got to emergency, she was already pretty far gone... they tried epinephrine, oxygen, etc. Could not save her.

4 yrs old... dead on the table. Threw up in her whelping box, had explosive watery diarrhea on the table at the ER vet. Anaphylactic shock was the dx there, and necropsy supported it. They felt it was likely a black widow or scorpion, due to the unseasonably warm temps we had that day (~60F in the otherwise cold desert).

What should I have known? At this point, the only thing I can share w/ you all is that she enjoyed some alone time under my platform deck for nesting. That day happened to be the first warm day of the spring... 60F=== an all time record high. It was ~6pm, so dusk. The ER vet felt (in the absence of a drug or vaccine reaction, which neither were a possiblity) she had likely been bit by an insect, spider or scorpion.

Now that I've had time to reflect, her feet were cold too (in addition to her gums). That is another sign of anaphylactic shock. I only share all this w/ you so you will know. I wasn't lucky. I did respond quickly but obviously not quickly enough to save Roxy.

Her pups are now 4 wks old, I bottle fed them them until all were lapping well and could sustain on gruel. I'm exhausted and obviously heartbroken but if anyone else can benefit from this, it's worth it. I don't wish this on anyone. Anne

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow - I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing and we can learn from this tragic incident. Don't beat yourself up - you did the best thing to get her to the vet. Take solace that others may know the signs as you have described and take immediate action - it may save the lives of other dogs.

Although we don't have scorpions or black widow spiders in Alaska we do have other poisonous objects - mushrooms. I had a similar event when my 12 year dog ate mushrooms. I did not act quick enough and lost her. It was not pleasant. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lorraine

#7 · (Edited)
Anne,
Me heart goes out to ye for this tragic loss. Good on ye for sharing the info with all and perhaps a caution of prevention. Dogs get into it with snakes, spiders, bees, wasps, hornets, ants, scorpions, etc., and some live in areas where the likelyhood of contact is much higher. Folks should talk to their veterinarians about which hazards are present in their area, or areas they may visit to hunt, trial, or test in with their dogs, and what their options are for first aid.

Irishwhistler

#8 ·
Anne I cried the day this happened to Roxy and I cry again today, I still cannot imagine the shock and pain of that day and ongoing. My heart truly goes out to you and I will hug my momma bitch and babies today thinking of you.... I hope there is a baby Roxy in the litter for you
BB

#9 ·
So very sorry for your loss. But so glad that you shared that potentially dangerous info here. I read an article on RTF a few years back on cold weather hypothermia, It saved my dogs life, in that I recognized the symptoms when they occurred,

#10 ·
I am so so sorry for your loss... As hard as that was to share, I appreciate your helping us learn from your loss :( Here in SC we have many biting / crawling dangers and no matter how diligent we are with the dogs we love it is always a concern. Her pups are beautiful and I am sure you must be so tired ... their thriving is a testament to your love.

#11 ·
Our prayers go out as well. My buddy Dale Willard suddenly lost his wonderful girl Kate due to AS after receiving her series of shots. I know that all involved were rendered helpless. They just don't stay with us long enough.

#12 ·
Anne so sorry for what you are going through. Wow....

#14 ·
I'm so sorry Anne. The stress and sleep deprivation from just whelping a litter about puts me down. I can only imagine how hard this tragedy has been on you between the hard work and heartbreak.

I pray those puppy kisses will heal your body, mind, and soul!

Swack

#17 ·
Boy that's an understatement. I bottle fed the pups for the first 10 days solid, starting out at 1wks at 2-3 hr intervals (oh did I mention they were born 4 days early, too?? Eyes didn't open until day 17-20). Was I glad to get them to the lapping stage! Just this past week, I've finally gotten to sleep thru the night. Last night I slept in my own bed for the first full night. Oh the simple pleasures we take for granted.

I was finally able to pick up Roxy's ashes the other day. Without the help of several friends, I'd not have been able to do any work (thankfully I didn't have but one long day on the road to do and a few 2-hour jobs locally during that timeframe). One of my Ag chemical field men brought me out a bottle of Tempo to spray around my house, garage (where my dogs sleep at night and where the puppies will be moved to this week). It's a pet safe product, also labelled for restaurant use, but is wicked on spiders, ants, scorpions, bees etc. Thought I'd pass that on too-- can buy it on Amazon, no applicator's license required. I've already sprayed ~5 gal worth and still have ~1/2 to 2/3 of the bottle left. I think it retails for ~$43.

Today I'm going to try to go to the Home / Garden show for a few hours after the puppies get lunch. I have a hot tub and deck to pull out and a memorial garden to design in its place. :(

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm still pretty numb over the whole ordeal. I thank God I have a bunch of sweet motherly girls here who have helped w/ cleaning and the doggy socialization as needed, along w/ friends who have come to help when I've needed. Anne

#15 ·
How awful for you! I hope the pups thrive and lift your spirits. Do any of you think an epi pen would be practical to add to the first aid kit? Under what circumstances would you use it? Effectiveness? Just wondering.

#18 ·
The emergency vet tried epinephren (sp?) along w/ IV, oxygen etc and she had started to respond but that was likely an hour after being bit (or whatever) so too late. Others have suggested I look into a pen also, so I'm curious. Seems like dogs need a bigger dose than humans on all of this???

#16 ·
Thank you for sharing this difficult but cautionary story. Valuable information. So sorry for the loss of your girl.

#20 ·
With regard to the Epi-pen that 2tall mentioned, a while back I had a YLF that had a very bad reaction to a bee sting in her mouth. The vet said that the next time could be fatal and recommended that I carry an Epi-pen.
I also always have benedryl in my vehicle at all times. In the case of the YLF, we were playing fetch with a ball and apparently she scooped up a bee along with the ball. She suddenly didn't want to move and broke out in hives all over.
When she did move, it was like a very old dog. We managed to make it home and then were off to the emergency vet in a flash. Scary but luckily she came out of it ok.

#21 ·
Anne,
I cried for you that day. I wish we lived closer so we would be able to more than just encourage each other through email......still thinking of you..

#22 ·
Please don't beat yourself up. That's the thing about anaphylaxis and shock. It is just such an overwhelming response of the immune system. It's entirely possible that IV fluids and epinephrine would not have turned it around.

OMG... how sad. We'll pray for you. You stay strong.

#30 ·
yes, this would be good to know. Also, if dosages are greater for dogs could you use 2 or more of the same epi pens carried for human use?

#26 ·
I was shocked the first time I read it and I am still am. So sorry Anne.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.