RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Need some advice...

743 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Don Lietzau 
#1 ·
I have a question. I purchased a dog that has a health guarantee. She has cataracts and they performed a Retinoscopy where she was 1-1.5 diopters near sighted. The dog has a 26 month health guarantee which is up in May. I have contacted the breeder through email & FB message , sent the required paperwork she requested for claim (which was signed for ups today) had both my wife and I cell phone number on it. She was made aware that there could be a problem last year but I wanted to see if it progressed before I made a claim. She has yet to email, call or MSG me back. I have a letter from Ophthalmologist stating her findings which have progressed from the first exam I had done almost a year ago. If she continues to dodge me which i feel like she is because she has posted several times since receiving my first messages and she blocked my wife from her breeding page. What would be your next course of action. I paid 2200.00 for a started dog and probably have 1500-2000.00 in training after the fact (because she wasn't near the dog she was advertised to be). The trainer is the one that alerted me to the vision problems and suggested i not go any further until i get her checked out. I don't want to really name names just how would you guys handle it from here. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt but I feel like I am going to get the run around

#3 ·
I think you posted this on Facebook a while back. Nobody knows what your contract is with this person, or how enforceable, and no one but an attorney can give you the correct advice from a legal perspective. Dogs are a funny game, mostly we have to rely on each other's word, because often the contract is worth about as much as the paper it's on. Consult an attorney. Try to work something out with the seller. If you buy another started dog, get the health clearances done before dog changes hands. Doesn't hurt to have someone local to the dog check out the training either, paying a pro for an assessment before committing to the dog can be the cheaper expense. All things we have to learn the hard way sometimes, unfortunately.

#4 ·
I did post on facebook. I went and got another opinion just to be certain. I hope she will work something out with me. They did have clearances done. There was a lot of eye testing done on the sire or dam. Which leads me to believe that they had reason to suspect an issue possibly. You are correct you learn lessons the hard way sometimes. In the end I am not looking to bash her. I hope she honors the guarantee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.