The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should the Canine Classifieds be changed/what change?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...the classifieds are fine the way they are

72 58.54%
  • Yes...it shoud be non-bumpable, non-repliable. Contact info and PM's are the way to communicate more detail

39 31.71%
  • Other....I have posted my comment in this thread.

12 9.76%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canine Classifieds - current Format - change?

Default Canine Classifieds - current Format - change?

I'd like to know what canine classified users think about the current status and issues that the board is having.

We did this a while back and had it "locked down" as non-repliable, non-bumpable.

In its current state, it is requiring some "policing", which neither Vicky nor I have time for.

Many of you are aware of the issues, some have been bringing issues to our attention.

Please click a button and share your opinion!

thanks! -custodian
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Default Your time

If you don't have time to filter the abuse, make it simpler. It's still good without replies.

I like them the way they are. but would understand if you changed it to no posting because of a few who are abusing and disregarding the rules of bumping. Somebody should volunteer to be the classifieds monitor, one of you hard ass x marines like Patrick Johndrow.

Chris,

While not perfect, the current system is not too bad.

Is it possible to allow responses that would not bump the post?

Also might be nice to seperate the breeds, or offer a stud dog section. As crazy as it sounds-not everyone is looking for a yellow Lab.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gassner
    Chris,

While not perfect, the current system is not too bad.

Is it possible to allow responses that would not bump the post?

Also might be nice to seperate the breeds, or offer a stud dog section. As crazy as it sounds-not everyone is looking for a yellow Lab.

John
    I like the idea of seperating the breeds, and a stud dog section. Other than that I say leave the same.
    www.Junebugchesapeakes.com

CBR -"He'll outswim,outweather and outfight any other breed of dog on the marsh. He will be loyal to you and you alone, showing great (if somewhat rare) affection in his own way provided no one is watching. Bob Hinman

I like the updates on how many pups left, price reductions, etc.

I think someone should be assigned to police the people that bump for bumping sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    I like the updates on how many pups left, price reductions, etc.

I think someone should be assigned to police the people that bump for bumping sake.
    As per PM - I agree with this idea too - but I understand the "black and white" concern....

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

After I replied in that other thread on the Classifieds board, I double-checked my ad.

I placed the ad in February. Bumped it once on April 7 after the pregnancy was confirmed. Bumped it again April 24 when pups were born. Bumped it last time when the sire had his hips/elbows done May 24. There was no identifieble "spike" in inquiries after each bump.

I'm not convinced bumping ads does anything other than send up a red flag that the pups are hard to sell for some reason. Maybe a sticky with examples of good ad copy and header flags that people could use as templates would be useful.

Remove the bump/reply capabilities, but allow editing, if it is possible. I could have simply added extra lines to my original post with the pertinent information as each "milestone" came up. It sure would have looked a lot less like me talking to myself!

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

If everyone would show some courtesy, the current situation would be good. However, some people:
    1) can't follow the guideline of not bumping prior to 3 weeks (when they could just edit their original post, keeping all the pertinent information at the top of the thread and give the same information);
    2) have a friend ask a simple question or say what a nice breeding, etc, etc.;
    3) set up a new User ID and then "talk" to themselves.

I like seeing the pictures of the newborns and then an update of the pictures when the pups are growing....but this could still be done within the guideline time frame.

On another note that goes along the same lines of LVL's post, I recently was looking for a started or finished dog for one of my clients. I went back numerous pages in the Classisfieds and contacted those posters. Many times the dog had been sold, but I found some that were still available. So, just because the ad goes off the first page, doesn't necessarily mean that the ad is not still generating attention.

If people would notify me when their litter has been sold, I would be able to delete those ad which would possibly help to keep some ads on the first page.

Vicky

PS Thanks to those of you who have sent me PMs to notify me that your litter or other items have been sold so that the ad could be deleted. It makes my "housekeeping" easier than having to read each thread's title to see if the word SOLD has been added or if the last post states that it has been sold.
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Can you just zap obvious bumps, and new screen names "questions", not the ad, and tell people they have to wait 3 weeks. I bet they get the hint.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam