RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Transitioning from Twice a day feeding to Once a day

18K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  SaskLabrador 
#1 ·
This branches off another thread, but I didn't want to hijack.

At what age do you transfer from feeding twice a day to once a day for a young dog? As a puppy I know they eat more frequently, but at what age do people begin to transition to once a day feeding?

#3 ·
We feed twice a day for life:

1) smaller meals offers easier digestion and lessens the dangers of bloat.
2) the dogs have fuel to feed the "machine" throughout the day.

#4 ·
Same twice; sometimes 3 depending on when I am home. If I test or trial I make sure they are fed a small amount in the am & then larger amount after the day is done.

#9 ·
I am surprised that the captain has not chimed in on how Lardy feeds his dogs. They really don't know the reason why dogs get bloat. According to the study made by Purina. I tried like hell to find the study and no luck. It take about 12 to 16 hr. for all the nutrients to reach the muscles. So to get the best performance from your dog you should feed the day before. Smaller meals will make no difference. If you need quick energy, water them with a good supplement.

Keith

#10 ·
Well, for whatever the reason ;) .... 2X a day has worked for us for years, it fits our schedules, and I had a dog that was fed 1X a day that died of bloat ... so personal experience/being comfortable, and ... knowing that I LIKE to eat more than once a day, ha ha ... I'll stick to 2X... NOT knocking those who feed once. Just saying the OP does not HAVE to switch to 1 X per day.

#11 ·
so for you guys that feed twice a day I have a question for you. I am only home for about a hour in the morning but home all evening (my wife is home longer in the morning) and normally feed 1 time a day. if I wanted to switch back to 2 times daily would you feed as soon as you wake up and once more in the evening, or should I have my wife feed after I am gone as to give the pup time to "wake up"? bloat scares me and I want to do anything I can to minimize the chances.

#19 ·
I feed pups 3x day until they are 12 weeks or so, then transition to 2x day. I feed adults twice a day for life. Breakfast between 5-6 a.m., and in season, we're in the field by 10 (I usually drive 1.5 to 2 hours to grounds). I feed again in the evening. Always have, for many years, with multiple dogs. I've seen the arguments for feeding once a day and twice a day, they both have merit, I just do what works for us. If I were only going to feed once a day, I'd do it later evening and I'd probably wait til pup is done growing before going to once a day feedings. If someone is really worried about a flip, they can have the tacking procedure done, like is fairly common for some of the breeds most prone to it. Bloat, lots of different theories. Nothing black and white enough for me to worry that I'm going to cause it by feeding twice a day.

#20 ·
8 mos for my own dogs. Kennel dogs coming in , whatever age they are, as long as theyre older than 6 mos

#21 ·
I have always done 3x a day for the first 6 months and then twice a day, morning and dinner.

#26 ·
I feed twice a day for life. I just don't like all that food sitting in my dogs' stomachs at one time. My first Lab was a bloater and I never want to go through that again.

#27 ·
Changing dog feeding from twice a day to once a day

I’m changing my feeding schedule for our 4 year old dog from twice a day to once a day . This change is starting today. I realize the original post was from 2011 - how did the meal amount change work out? I , like you , didn’t see many answers to your original question. And I’m not providing an answer either , just a note that we’re starting once a day now (after the 4th in house poop late in the night)

#30 ·
I feed once a day. Transitioned to once a day at about 10 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.