RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

FYI Dog flu in Illinois

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  hotel4dogs 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Is this the same affliction that they were talking about a couple weeks ago around here????? They were calling it a virulent strain of "kennel cough" then, as more than a few dogs had died from it.

#6 ·
any word of it on the west coast yet?

#7 ·
I talked to the vet today. They haven't had 1 confirmed case in that office yet but 3 very sick dogs awaiting test results. Those dogs were treated in the owners cars and not taken into the office. They said to prevent it it's two shots. Second booster shot is 3 weeks after the first and about 10 days after that your dog should be immune from it. If you dog shows symptoms it's probably too late for the shots to help. One dog is going in for other shots tomorrow, I'll probably bring both dogs in case I decide to get the shots after a few more questions with the vet. It was the help on the phone and not the actual vet that I talked to. They are mostly concerned about dogs that have contact with other dogs. Boarding,classes,etc...

#15 ·
Although this vet does not recommend the flu vaccine for canines, this article, as I read it, seems to be more about an article he is criticizing for having misinformation. If a dog is going to a hunt test in Illnois that will be loaded with dogs from the Chicago area, I do believe taking the vaccine is warranted. Even though this vet would disagree. Our vet, and our trainer both recommend taking the vaccine, if you dogs are likely going to be exposed!

#16 ·
I will probably vaccinate my dogs for this just as I vaccinate against kennel cough. It may not prevent it, but it lessens the severity.

#19 · (Edited)
Someone in IL posted on FB that they have it all through their kennel and on their truck right now. So it's just a matter of time before it rears its ugly head on the hunt test/field trial circuit. Like maybe after the GRCI test in IL coming up in a couple of weeks.
The biggest thing to be aware of, should you opt for the vaccination (we did), is that it will take about 4 weeks for it to really be effective. First shot, then 2-3 weeks later a second shot, then another 10 days to 2 weeks for full immunity. And it does need to be boosted annually.
My vet says that people need to keep in mind that it's just like the human flu, most people get sick and feel miserable but recover from it uneventfully. Only the very young, very old, or otherwise in poor health are really at risk for serious illness or death. He is currently recommending that dogs at high exposure risk get vaccinated, but not house pets who have no real risk factors.
Also, the vets in this area believe there is a huge outbreak of a particularly virulent form of kennel cough going around, and it is being mistakenly called canine influenza. Yes, some dogs are testing positive for the flu (you have to send samples to Cornell to confirm), but a lot seem to have just kennel cough.

#20 ·
Someone in IL posted on FB that they have it all through their kennel and on their truck right now. So it's just a matter of time before it rears its ugly head on the hunt test/field trial circuit. Like maybe after the GRCI test in IL coming up in a couple of weeks.
The biggest thing to be aware of, should you opt for the vaccination (we did), is that it will take about 4 weeks for it to really be effective. First shot, then 2-3 weeks later a second shot, then another 10 days to 2 weeks for full immunity. And it does need to be boosted annually.
Also know the vaccine does not prevent the disease but lessons the symptoms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.