RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ff ???

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  truthseeker 
#1 ·
So we just started FF last night. I am new to training hunting dogs but not dogs. My BLM fought the glove hand all the way. This morning a little better tonight about same. Question is... when he stops fighting he really bites down. I have a cheep pair of Farm and Fleet leather gloves. My hands feel it. Any suggestion what some of you use for this first step.

#2 ·
Tell him "No Bite"
"Hold" Helps to keep things calm and release him from the hold when he settles down and holds nice. Don't dally the first few sessions. In, Hold, Calm, Out.
I assume your following some sort of structured program.

Don and Crew

#3 ·
Just push down hard on the bottom teeth with your gloved hand to make the dog relax the jaw. They can't bite unless you allow it...and doing this will stop it. Remember, this step is about two things: Teaching the dog that it's mouth belongs to you; and conditioning the dog's "hold" to be what you expect it to be.

#4 ·
At this stage you are not to say anything. As soon as the dog stops fighting you release the glove. Sound like to me there is some timing issue going on. Be a little quicker in the release. once you add the "hold" command. If they bite you will shake the hand and say "hold". This should stop the pressure on your glove and take care of your issue.

Keith

#7 ·
Don, if you have your palm resting across those bottom teeth it's a simple matter to push down and move the jaw away from the upper teeth. ;) It's really pretty easy since there is a "hinge" for the jaw. It's not like you're trying to pry the teeth apart...just push the lower teeth away from the upper. Easier to show than to write, but very simple to do.

#8 · (Edited)
Use the gloved hand to pull the lower lips over the bottom teeth. You won't be able to feel them very well with the glove on so use your eyes also and look. If the dog clamps down on the hand he will also feel it on his lips. Just be calm and give the command hold. I like to count to five at first and then as you progress extend the time out longer. If the dog gets figety repeat the hold command but keep the hand in there until you say give. Don't forget to give them the good dog praise when they do it correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.