RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Custom Training Journal - Thoughts and Feedback

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DoubleHaul 
#1 ·
Attached is a training journal template that I created in excel and covered to jpg. (Apparently pdfs and excel files are not allowed as attachments on RTF)

I created a section to serves as a flash card of notes, called "Training Lesson / Concept", where I will document information and key training points from my training resources in preparation for my training session.

My template is primarily for the training of one dog, and not multiple.

Is there anything else I should include?
Feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Text Line Parallel Font
Sincerely,
Duane Ray

See less See more
#3 ·
Tom - I am familiar with the log you are referring to, but that only incorporates a Diagram section, and not a "flash card" or "Training Lesson / Concept" section that I feel I need to use as a reference prior and when I am training. I have searched for other training journals and have been unable to find one with such a section.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I use actual 3x5 index cards to take in the field. Some think it's nuts, but (in FTP for example) when I say I follow a program, I go to the yard with notes on how many sends to the back pile, whether it's a side send or front finish, left side or right side, how many times forced, whether from a front finish or side, etc...

My card may say
Id pile
Send on name
FF (receive front finish)
RB (right back)
FF
LB
FF
RB + b (nick)
SFL (receive left side)
Send
SFR (receive right side)
etc.

I may adjust if needed to give more sends from front finish vs side, etc. but I go in with a plan.

I've had a fair amount of success with this approach as a weekend warrior. The 3x5 card fits in my pocket so I can quickly view during the session if needed. This wouldn't be convenient with a notebook approach.

#8 ·
Just using $2 notebook from Meijers. Like to do my own thing on a day to day basis. My drawings are not good but...:) I try to plan next days work, based on that day. I also use a video b/c I do train alone alot & easier to watch a couple of times & p/u issues. And now that I read my own notes only I would understand them.:) After looking at these from March this year we have improved & can do send backs, D. Voigt style. :)

Text Handwriting Notebook Paper Writing

#9 ·
I use a freebee web page. Infinitely flexible. I might scribble notes during training but then put it on my webpage when I'm done. (The webpage is deliberately search-engine minimized because everyone should feel free to say whatever they want in their own notes.)

#10 ·
Sometimes people have a tendency to over massage (I'd use think but don't believe it applies here) dog handling & training.

When you are on the line & faced with a critical decision you better be able to do it automatically - there is no time to go
through the notes :confused:, JMO.

#14 ·
Sometimes people have a tendency to over massage (I'd use think but don't believe it applies here) dog handling & training.

When you are on the line & faced with a critical decision you better be able to do it automatically - there is no time to go
through the notes :confused:, JMO.
Marvin, I agree with your opinion for on the line at a FT or hunt test, but I primarily am building a template for training and documenting our progress. Sorry if my OP was confusing.

#11 ·
Oh, my. Experienced this fact over the weekend. Whistle between the teeth... but when to hit it. Then, once you do, assuming the dog answers up... then what?????

I don't know if I did the right thing. I could only remember the pro saying, if you handle on a mark, you must handle ALL THE WAY to the bird. So, that's what I did. Don't know, however, if I did the right thing. But it's going down in my journal to review later.

#12 ·
I don't know if I did the right thing. I could only remember the pro saying, if you handle on a mark, you must handle ALL THE WAY to the bird. So, that's what I did. Don't know, however, if I did the right thing. But it's going down in my journal to review later.
As a rookie, that is tough to remember. I had a judge kindly remind me of that in one of my first Senior hunt tests. Thankfully, he passed me.

#13 ·
Depth perception is a b#tch. I was sure I had her on it 3 or 4 times... but not so much. It was not pretty... I just kept trying this spot then that one then the next then one over there then back a bit... but the judge said "Well, she stayed with you." So I guess we made up on trainability what we lost in marking.

At any rate, I made diagrams of each test from this weekend, and noted what we did or failed to do and put it on my webpage for future reference.

#15 ·
Just looking at it, there is a ton of fields you are going to consistently leave blank for one dog--age for example.

Something more free form might be better. Draw or take a picture of the setup, write down what you were working on and how the dog did. I used to use a notebook then a database now just keep it in Evernote. It is searchable and you can keep it more free form. But if you like forms it is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.