RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Teaching 18 months old to sit on whistle.

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  polmaise 
#1 ·
Is it too late to teach my 18 month old BLM to sit on whistle? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

#2 ·
No, it's not too late.

Have your dog on a lead, toot the whistle and tell him sit, use the lead to reinforce if needed. Repeat it that way for a few days, when he starts to understand what you are asking of him, he will start sitting without the verbal reinforcement.

#10 ·
No I might missed something? I was thinking he is having trouble w/ his dog sitting to the whistle while training & getting ready to do pattern blinds? Overthinking again.:(

#13 · (Edited)
Very easy. Place the whistle on the ground on your left side. Call the dog to heel and reinforce as necessary for correct sit. Once dog is seated on whistle, offer generous praise. Congratulations, you have just completed the first phase of Seatng on a Duck!

(I know I will be in much trouble for this!)

#15 ·
Good! Supposed to be fun! By the way, I have a dog that did not start any training until 17 months old. He is great!

#17 ·
I teach it in the FTP drill - stopping him as he comes back to you, by verbal and backed up with whistle and both intermittently. Do this at occasional intervals and be mindful dog still needs to return and finish at your side more then not. Once he is on to this idea it will be easy transition to stopping and turning on whistle blast ENROUTE to pile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.