RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

info on welping

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ErinsEdge 
#1 ·
I am helping a friend with his golden that is on day 65 but no puppies yet how overdue can she be before problems?

#2 ·
If you don't know when she ovulated , you don't know when she is due.... She could have been bred early

#5 ·
Breeding date and ovulation date are two completely different things. Semen can be viable in the female for up to a week. The gestation is 63 days+/- 3 days from the date of ovulation, not the day of breeding. Take the temp 3 times a day at the same time of the day. Consider a progesterone test to see if it has fallen down to baseline levels yet. Cannot really tell if it has fallen as you do not know where it was. Not all females have the same progesterone levels during pregnancy, so you would only be able to tell if it is baseline which would mean pre-breeding levels.
Or just wait and she will know when its time. Temperature will vary from day to day, but usually in my females I have seen big drop 24 hours prior to the start of labor.

#6 ·
Is he sure she is bred? Did she have a pre-whelping xray? If she was bred on Feb 20th she would be 67 days and they are usually bred 2 days after ovulation putting it at 69. A trip to the vet is in order ASAP.

#7 ·
I disagree, bitches can be hussies and stand well before ovulation. I would follow DR Nate's DVM advice

#8 ·
Of course they can stand early, but certainly wouldn't hurt to take an xray and see how calcified the feet are

#10 ·
Listen to NateB.

I always take the temps of my bitches approaching whelping time and almost always will catch a drop to 99 degrees or lower 12 to 24 hrs. prior to delivery. (I take temps twice a day.)

Mom will know when it's time. Don't look at the calendar, Look At MOM!

Swack

#11 · (Edited)
Hmm if it were an important litter to me and I wanted to make sure all the pups survive; taking into account the health of the bitch. I'd most likely go check in at the vets; take an x-ray, and perhaps schedule a C-section. Otherwise you could just wait it out; but for me I'd need a check-up to make sure everything was still going as it should. Natural whelping is all find and good, but a c-section gets everyone out and breathing. Either way a vet trip would give peace of mind.

#13 ·
Exactly, after whelping enough litters you learn they may not go into labor, the pups may start dying or there may be one dead pup or a small litter in there, the progesterone may not fall low enough to think c-section but if you have a smart repro vet she will ultrasound and say we have to do a c-section now, and you get the answer we probably will never know why that happened, and the next litter everything goes fine. I've had all that happen. Some females don't drop their temp or you don't catch a quick drop. Some go in labor and quit. I had a labor quit because a pup was dead and anencephalic- only part of a head which you can see on xray, and I had a pup miss the exit and go up the other horn and get stuck transverse. But I'm done giving advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.