RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Raw Feeding

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  careljo 
#1 ·
I'm interested in starting the prey model raw feeding for my lab. Does anyone feed raw? If so any pointers? About how much does it cost you, I know it'll go up in hunting season, how does your dog do on it, and what meats do you recommend?

#4 ·
We pray before all meals.....Haha..
We feed raw. It is pretty inexpensive. I had to get a separate refig/freezer and it is in the garage. In the morning we mix some Honest Kitchen-Preference with a 1/4 pound of ground turkey, or Blue Ridge beef. In the evening we give one chicken quarter during the summer, and two in the winter because we are very active. The dog needs carbs. Thats what the Honest Kitchen is for.

It comes out to about $1.05 per day. I have heard several people have problems with it so keep an eye on your pup. If all goes well, this will make your dog very healthy. Oh, and I have never had the dog eat birds. He is not blood thirsty. Nor are any of the other dogs I know that get fed raw food.

Just my opinion.

#5 ·
We have chosen to compromise on feeding raw. We primarily feed Pro Plan Performance, but when we have a pregnant or nursing female we supplement their dry food with raw venison mixed with powdered lamb's milk replacer. I really like the added calories, protein and calcium it provided. During our last litter this really kept the weight on our girl and she recovered very, very quickly.

As for the price, well... we go collect the venison ourselves. We are blessed to live in an area where the whitetail population is borderline out of control so tags and seasons are very liberal. We killed and processed 14 deer last fall which provides enough meat for my family and plenty for the dogs to supplement their diet. Last time I did the math on it it was somewhere around ~$0.20 per pound since we do it all in house.

Good luck with your raw feeding program!

#6 ·
Thank you for the replies! I'm looking at just going completely raw. Starting with some chicken backs for the first few days and then adding in chicken quarters. We live in Alaska so if I get a caribou and/or a moose this year (fingers crossed) I guess I'll share with him. I know for fish you are supposed to freeze it before giving it to the dogs. Anything else I need to freeze prior? What kind of bones do you normally mix in to it?

#7 · (Edited)
There is actually one thing worse than feeding the world's worst kibble, and that is feeding a raw diet that is unbalanced. Since you are first starting, mix raw food with dry. Green tripe is probably the best raw item to include. Chicken backs are just bones and chicken quarters have the potential to cause really serious injury because the leg bones are hollow and can turn into a very sharp object. I have personally seen dogs where a chicken leg bone went clear through the palate.

Many vets can share horror stories about bone blockages and masses of calcium that block the intestines.

In order to do raw correctly you need to incorporate organ meat and fish. It isn't easy or cheap, so beware of rosy cost projections.

If you feed game, make sure it is frozen and at a temperature below zero for several weeks and never feed raw trout or salmon.

#8 ·
Do not feed raw to puppies unless you know how to balance the calcium intake correctly. Kibble should be about 1% calcium. I don't guarantee hips on dogs that are fed raw as puppies.

#11 ·
Don't believe what you read. I think adding fresh food is a great idea but you will see no difference in your dog even if you raw feed perfectly. However, you will see your dog's condition deteriorate if you do it wrong.

If you are getting information off the internet, 99% is wrong. I will give you a few examples: 1) "Raw Meat & Eggs are Easier to Digest", this is wrong as cooked meat and eggs are much easier to digest and 2) "Raw Meat Has Enzymes that Kibble Does Not", this is wrong as their are no enzymes in meat. If there were it would not be meat it would be mush.

Like I said, don't expect any miracles.

Raw diets are very deficient in certain minerals like zinc, which is very important for coat and pad condition. Labs were not blessed with the toughest pads, so in a few months you can expect sore feet.

#14 ·
I feed my two goldens RAW. I buy, locally, beef and pork hearts, tongues, liver as well as turkey necks, chicken, sardines, pumpkin, assorted veggies. I also give them coconut oil, tumric and other assorted goodies. I make bone broth and dehydrated beef and liver jerky for treats. My meat cost ranges from $.75 - $1.50/pound. Also, every so often they'll get wild game: duck, goose, venison.

#15 ·
How did your Goldens take to it? Were they fed raw from the start? I currently only use coconut oil for the pads of my pups paw pads because they are cracked, but read benefits on adding it to food. How does their diet change during duck season, do you normally have to add a few more ounces at feelings during this time? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

#17 ·
The first product he showed, the big frozen chub, is called Performance Dog and it is processed in NJ in a complete sh#t hole of a NON INSPECTED plant that basically slaughters and renders diseased and downed dairy cattle. I wouldn't feed that stuff if it were free. Based on that he has no credibility.

#20 ·
The latest guidance and requirements for puppy food for even large and giant breeds is 1.20% - 1.80%, dry matter basis.

This is based on studies on both sides of 1.20% and 1.80%. Some companies are complying but some have not yet.
Most of the major companies have not changed to these guidelines, at least I haven't found any that have. I said "about" 1%, I think 1.2% would fit in that about range. I am talking about people who feed whole chickens or ground bone with no measurements.

#22 ·
I've used ZiwiPeak air dried raw lamb based food (imported from New Zealand) for the last few years for my dog who has uncontrolled Lyme disease. I swear that without this food he would have already succumbed to this disease. He has energy, looks good and feels good. It is very pricey however. I go through an 11 lb bag of food about every two to two and a half weeks (he weighs 70 lbs) and the cost for each bag has ranged between $120 - 134. I can't afford to feed it to all the dogs, and have just started mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with grain free kibble to see how he reacts. So far, so good. I've also used Primal nuggets as well as Stella and Chewy's raw dehydrated foods. All are completely balanced nutrition. I worry that the balance of protein, carbs, vitamins, etc is difficult to maintain with a completely homemade raw diet. I know it can be done but it is more work than I'm willing to take on at this time. Prepared raw foods just seem easier (although much more expensive) to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.