The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should clubs be allowed to change their Open after the close?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

52 83.87%
  • Yes

10 16.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed rule change

Default Proposed rule change

RFTN report of the 2006 NAFC includes a proposed rule that would allow clubs to change the status of their Open to a Special, Limited or Restricted after the entries close if too many dogs were entered. The now ineligible entrants would be notified and refunded their fee.

Would vote in favor or to reject such a rule change?

IMHO this type of change would enhance the disregard for those Amat's that make plans (vacation time, hotel & travel arrangements...) to run and many times work the trial on Friday.

Tim

Tim's right.

I would encourage our club to vote against this proposal!

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I voted "Yes".

If the entries are above 100, I don't think any club has an alternative. They have to try and get entries down to be fair to the dogs, handlers, workers and judges.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty
    If the entries are above 100
    If a club anticipates this type entry they should hold a Restricted All-Age

This proposal is merely a band aid from the Retriever Advisory Committee who refuses to address the problem of entry numbers with any useful alternatives

To me this looks really really ugly. Many people need a fair amount of lead time to get to an event. To leave it to this kind of last minute decision is, in my opinion, crazy.
    "I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play"

I don't understand why it cannot be first come, first served... if you want a limit of 80 entries, then the first 80 dogs to sign up are in...
    that's gotta be a problem, it's too obvious..

It does take considerable amount of planning to attend a FT. For example for the past Friday I had to have my vacation request in, a request to flex my time so I don't have to suck up all my vacation time and that had to be in 3-4 weeks early. I also have to do a little sucking up to my co-workers so I can take a few Fridays off - they too want to be able to take a 3 day weekend once in a while, too. So if I made plans for a trial and then didn't get to run I'd be livid! Also why not just make it a limited, Restricted or Special from the get go then there is no question. Life is stressful enough why add the stress of not being able to plan for a hobby??

Oh well, I don't have a dog in this particular fight at this time, but I will in the future, I hope

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    If the entries are above 100
    If a club anticipates this type entry they should hold a Restricted All-Age

This proposal is merely a band aid from the Retriever Advisory Committee who refuses to address the problem of entry numbers with any useful alternatives
    This proposal was put forth by a member our our club, SLRC. Normally, our March trial numbers stay between 80-95 dogs. A managable number. However, March before last (we didn't host a trail last March due to the hurricanes), we had two unexpected Pros enter their truck of dogs. That brought the number to 127!

Of the 120 Open starters, there wasn't an Amateur there that was happy with the test. It was absolutly brutal and many would have wished to stay at home had they known what they were getting into or just run the Amateur.

A Restricted Stakes will now be standard fair for SLRC unless we can have the option to have a regular Open and change it to a Restricted IF need arises. And, with a Restricted as standard fair, the Amateurs with dogs not qualified to enter will have absolutley no chance of entering.

What if we only have 60 dogs entered? Then we stay with a regular Open and everyone can enter! If we come out the box with a Restricted, they have no chance whatssoever of entering.

That is the reason for the proposal.

If it isn't approved, look for the club to consider running a Restricted and O/H Amateur only. No Derby or Q.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

This proposal was put forth by a member our our club, SLRC. Normally, our March trial numbers stay between 80-90 dogs. A managable number.
    Franco,

we obviouisly do not share the view of what number in the Open constitutes "manageable". The proposal put forth by "your member" and also a member of The Retriever Advisory Committee is another attempt to ignore the problem.

Rather than having a sane and sensible approach to keep the entry at 65 or 70 dogs we choose to let people plan their field trial schedules and then discover 10 days before the trial that they are no longer eligible to enter. This is the ultimate display of arrogance that continues to be displayed by the people empowered to govern out sport.

Frankly, I am embarrassed that RAC can do no better than this proposal. I sincerely hope that the retriever field tral community rejects this proposal and demands a logical and sensible solution to the problem.

I acknowledge and applaud the contributions that the members of the Retriever Advisory Committee have made, but I believe that this committee should be accountable to the clubs and people who make this sport functional. Just as I believe in term limits for politicians, I believe in term limits for the governing body of our sport.