RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pup Regressing On Bumper Retrieval...

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Brad C 
#1 ·
My BLM pup is just past 4 months old and we have been following the Hillmann program of training. He had been doing wonderfully, hitting his bumper with enthusiasm and returning directly to me. I always let him hold it for a while while I praised excitedly for a good retrieve prior to taking it from him, as Bill instructs.

The last few days he has regressed on this and now eagerly hits the bumper and then proceeds to pick it up, run in circles with it shaking it by the rope and going nuts playing with it instead of bringing it back to me. He does everything he can to stay far enough away that I can't get a foot on the lead and this behavior brings our training session to a halt as I wait patiently for him to get tired of it and come back to me.

Any suggestions about how I might best handle this? I'm thinking about going to a longer rope lead and keeping the tosses within rope length and reeling him in by the rope for a while but I'm not exactly sure.

#5 ·
I too followed Hillmann This occurs on camera in the "revised" edition. Watch how Bill handles it.
And yes it may be teething. I went to a soft, "fire hose" bumper because my pup was very sensitive to teething pain.

#6 ·
I too am following Hillmann. Same exact thing. It will pass. Bill wants him CRAZY to retrieve at this point. He'll learn that if he doesn't come to you, the "game" ends! Be patient, you will learn just how patient of a person you really are using Bills program. And the end results are so worth it!! My pup is a year old now and the steadiest, most crazy to retrieve pup I have owned. I too opted for longer rope until "here" was taught and cc.

#7 ·
I've been using a 20' lead already but was throwing well beyond that since he really likes the chase and needs the exercise associated with repeatedly running down 60 yard throws. (That's also why I needed the rope on the bumper, so I could throw it a long way). Like I said, he was doing very well on these long throws, bringing them directly back. Now, once he gets the bumper he's smart enough to stay out of "leash catching distance" when he just wants to play with it.

I like that he's enthusiastic and having fun with it but it stinks to have to bring the session to a halt for 10 minutes while he romps around with the bumper. I will try something softer and lighter although I don't believe that teething pain is the issue right now. (If it was I doubt that he'd be shaking and whipping the bumper around while running in backward circles and playfully growling)

Should I just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing or should I go back to 20' tosses while hanging on to the lead?

#9 ·
This is very typical with 4 month olds, and that is doing what he wants. Teething can be a part of it but if you continue letting him do what he wants, run around, he will get used to being able to run with the bumper away from you. Keep him on a check cord or CC him to here or ask Bill what he does to correct it, but I know from experience, you can't let them run around.

#10 ·
After conversing with a member here who is very knowledgable of Bills methods, I went back to VERY short tosses with 25' lead and got the "habit" of coming back to me more developed. Patience is paramount! This helped tremendously. After I had him cc to the "here" command (3 months later) he tried running the other way after the pickup, then I gave him a 'here' -'nick' - 'here' with a higher 'nick' than usual. Problem solved!

When I discussed this with another op that is very much into Bills philosophy, he told me that there are times when a pup needs corrected but ONLY after he understands the command and has been doing it well for quite some time. Since then I haven't had anyone problems.

#11 ·
Not surprised at 4 months of age. It will pass come learning FF and with age. Although my dog is 3 and she will act a bit goofy when she gets super excited, but gets down to work when I tell her. It just shows you how much they love what they are doing. Nothing wrong with that unless your pup becomes disobedient, but it will pass.

#12 ·
I've only had 2 pups that I've trained, but both did this at about same age. What I did was the second the dog started to play with it I'd start hollering in excitement and run the other way. She'd wonder what was going on and run right to me, still had the bumper too. Once she got to me I'd praise like there's no tomorrow. Eventually she just wanted the praise and brought it back right away. Correction came after I knew she knew what to do and FF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.