RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Flying into MT with dog?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Billie 
#1 ·
Surely people have done this-
Flying into Billings, MT with a dog? ( would prefer smaller airport further north (Glasgow?) ) Best to take her as baggage, or book thru cargo ? I'm thinking the smaller airports may not accommodate a plane that can accommodate a labrador sized dog (adult ). Am I right? How about Missoula- did anyone fly into there for the National? ( with a dog).
Trying to work out some kinks for a trip this fall and see if taking a dog with me is feasable, or worth it.
Thanks

#2 ·
Last time I flew to Montana from Texas they said "you can't get there from here" and they were right way too many plane changes. CA might have a direct carrier but you should contact the carriers not RTF if you're looking for real time, solid information, there are a lot of hoops to jump thru including size (Max 100 #) and temperature restrictions. If you going hunting I'd drive.

#6 ·
Flying your dog anywhere is crazy, it seems to totally depend on the personality of the individual you encounter at check-in. Sometimes you get a Nazi and it seems like nothing you have is right. Your crate is either too large for the airplane or too small for your dog, they might scrutinize your health clearance with a fine tooth comb or not even check. Then I've dealt with easy going check-in people who just ask about the dog and set him on the conveyor belt. Temperature this time of year is a big deal, we are heading into prolonged 90-100 weather, too hot to ship a dog. I've heard too many horror stories, so I don't ship my dog by air anymore.

#5 · (Edited)
I had my pup flown in from Minnesota to Missoula about a month ago through Delta Dash and was very happy with Delta airlines. I see you are from California you could fly to Salt Lake then straight to Missoula or Billings on Delta. I can't imagine there are many commercial flights into Glasgow, it is really small. Maybe they expanded with the boom in the oil fields. Good luck.

#7 ·
You might want to consider calling your airlines of choice. Flying dogs is as simple as booking a flight and paying the fees. I use Alaska Pet Priority Program all the time. Excellent service and never a problem.........knock on wood. I have also use Delta Airlines with good results. It' best to book them if your flying the same flight. Cargo is a whole different ball game with different rules and restrictions as well as 3x the cost.
Don and Crew

#8 ·
You might want to consider calling your airlines of choice. Flying dogs is as simple as booking a flight and paying the fees. I use Alaska Pet Priority Program all the time. Excellent service and never a problem.........knock on wood. I have also use Delta Airlines with good results. It' best to book them if your flying the same flight. Cargo is a whole different ball game with different rules and restrictions as well as 3x the cost. Don and Crew
This is true, flying you and your dog is way easier, and I think safer, than flying your dog on his own as cargo.

#9 ·
Delta is the most predominant carrier in that area. Usually fly from Dallas to MT at least once a year. All will go though Salt Lake. Direct flights to Jackson Hole but that sounds too far south for you. As stated prior, flying with ur dog is always a presence. As long as your paper work is in order, it is typically a smooth process.

#10 ·
Thanks all! Going in October, so hopefully weather not an issue as much as now. I used Missioula as an example- but plan to go into Billings due to the size of the airport and likelihood to accept the dog/kennel. She would go as baggage, then. same flight as me. Also, planned on talking with the airlines directly but wanted to know what I was getting into from folks who may have done this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.