RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Very low drive

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Cass 
#1 ·
I just got 5 month old pup and his retrieving desire is extremely low. Will retrieve most of the time but walks to the bumper and walks back. I've had him on live birds, jazzed him up and made him excited still don't have a lot of interest. Was wondering what some more tricks are to bring the desire out of him?

#2 ·
#3 ·
My current young dog didn't really turn it on until 9-10 months old, was even sent home prior to a winter trip at 7 months old :( He was very relaxed about retrieving, would go out, bring it back, maybe 2-3 retrieves at best...it was aggravating given the fact I knew his sire and numerous littermates of the sire to include owning a littermate that passed at 2 year old. I knew the lines, I knew they were all maniacs about retrieving. When he got sent home and denied the winter trip I was crushed, but my Pro told me, take him out and let him explore and mark the poop out of him, even to the point of using squeaky toys and tennis balls....just get him crazy about retrieving, keep it fun, keep it simple (cut grass, easy terrain, etc)...she also said to let him break...when she got back from the winter trip, she could not believe how much he changed and we joke about how he wasn't the same puppy...some dogs just take time to figure it out...actually I think she was relieved that we didn't have to wash him because she knew I got him for sentimental reasons and I had just washed the puppy prior due to HD.

Long story short, your pup is probably teething so don't sweat it....and also don't get too worried yet if your pup is slow to turn it on, if the pedigree is there, it will come through, it just takes some longer than others. And while he is teething, let him retrieve soft toys...nothing wrong with that.

#5 ·
Hillmann does a great job demonstrating how to accentuate a pup's prey drive. There are youtube examples and his puppy training videos cover in more detail. Basically boils down to 3 things: entice them into wanting to chase, LOTS of excitment from you, and keep it brief(don't bore them)...stop when they're still wanting more.

#7 · (Edited)
I just got the pup in
That leaped off the page.

How long back was "just"? A dog will accept his new home in a week or so, it will be a lot longer before he trusts you or feels confident with you. Before I make any firm decisions about a dog, especially a puppy I give him six weeks; in the case of retrieving ability and desire, that many months and more.

I certainly wouldn't be doing any formal training or obedience work if he's "just" arrived, play training yes, clicker yes; lead work, verbal commands that must be obeyed, no, nor anything else that's going to pressurise him mentally or physically. Softlee softlee catchee monkee.

The most awkward customers I ever got are those Springers who hunted like demons but didn't want to retrieve. I taught a couple of them to retrieve with clicker, so that they had nice clean set of behaviours even without any real punch or desire. When the lights did finally come on at about eighteen months, it was easy enough to proceed further; I'd got the brakes and turning signals fitted before the engine went in rather than the other way round which can be a lot less rewarding!

Without seeing you both together my outline plan would be to give him enough time and sufficient reasons to trust you, then smarten up the bit of retrieving he has got with clicker. You can have sit, send out, pick up, and deliver to hand all in place without any pressure ready for booster ignition to start. After that revert to whatever training scheme you fancy.

Eug

#9 · (Edited)
Fun is all about imagination. Free walks in wide open, safe places are like magic.

Find your "silly self". Take a fly swatter and make it become "alive" across the floor (vinyl flooring is best - more noise). Wildly shake it up and down the walls in a corner. "Frenzy mode" will kick in. Rinse and repeat then transition to a Chuck-It ball (in a corner).

The “Chuck-It Ball” became the reward for bringing a bumper back and a useful distraction during OB sessions.

A friend of mine gave me an agility toy which I didn’t pay much attention to until Pounced arrived. One day for a "lark", I threw it out and she loved it…..different “grips”.

#10 ·
I have one about that age, and she's teething like crazy. She'll retrieve the soft bumpers but not the hard ones unless she's got another of her buddies to compete against. I don't do a lot of training at this point, for one, they are still having some pretty insane growth spurts and seem to sleep more than normal while growing.

PS : FOM.... lol on your avatar. :)

#12 ·
He's 5 months old, this is a non issue. let him be a pup. He's probably teething, most pups lose interest during that time. He was bred to retrieve, he will do it, don't worry about it so much. Spend this crucial time bonding with him and instilling manners and the basics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.