RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

13 week pup ff

10K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  duk4me 
#1 ·
I have a thirteen week old pup and I was thinking why wait for her permanent teeth to come in. Any of y'all ff a puppy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I will be 3 months ahead.

#8 ·
I don't think ANY 13wk puppies have maturity to deal with FF. Personally, at that age I am working on developing bond with my puppy and just learning that puppy's individual personality traits etc. There are also several fear stages at different points in puppies' development you definitely want to avoid. These early weeks are my time to help my pup adjust to multiple surroundings and stimulI, I work on boldening him up, not the opposite. In my opinion, some things just can't be rushed. Hopefully, you'll have your dog as your partner for many, many years, why push such a young pup so hard to get ahead by 3mo?

#9 ·
She will sheet on anything TS I DON'T know what the problem is she was cigraring the bumpers so I put barb wire on the end and now she won't retrieve so I'M gonna force her.

#13 ·
That is what I'M thinking BJ why wait. HELL they want to bite and chew everything anyway why not channel it. I mean my big toe is bleeding now heck yea I'M gonna be a pioneer. Fetch means fetch

f
f

t

#20 · (Edited)
Ha ha ha.... I guess...

#31 ·
No fair deleting post. But something begs the question why did Ms. Paulson name the horse Rock Hard Ten? Perhaps it was wishful thinking since she was married to the near centurian Mr. Paulson. Also begs the question why did you name your dog Rock Hard Ten. lol Now when I showed my wife the toe hitch force on the puppy yesterday last night it was attached to me. So far I've fetched ice cream, water, tacos, coke, not that coke, a salad, ham sandwich, margarita, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and fried chicken. Thought it was for the wife but she fed it all to our rescue dog. Think I'm gonna let her force Twinkle she is doing a helluva job on me.

#21 ·
RTF has definitely lost its sense of humor and satire.

#22 · (Edited)
.....and then there is this (took awhile to do a search).

Forum post 7/7/2006

"Correct me if I am wrong but Downtown Dusty Brown was force fetched at 4 months. I don't see anything wrong with it if the pup can handle it and the trainer is very good at reading dogs. Maybe they use minimal amounts of pressure. I could see it going both ways.................."

Good Luck
Chris

post #13 in the following link.
"Dusty" force fetch

I bred "Taffey" to "Dusty" twice and was well aware of his early FF.

Nothing is etched in stone regards, Jim

#36 ·
Nah, not until he's forced the pup to run behind the ATV for a couple miles while holding on to the bumper.
Then advance on to a duck for 4-5 miles. Caution, look in your rear view mirror when it's hot in case the dog overheats

#39 · (Edited)
The horse was maybe Cigar (lol.. Like your bumper problem.. Lol). Rock Hard Ten was sold and is now standing Stud in Korea.. Ugh! Yeah Madeleine did real well being married to two millionaires. He was co owned by Mercedes Stables. I'll have to post a picture of his hat. I own one and bought one for my Ten's breeder.. He loved it;)

Read this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_A._Pickens

Barb

#40 ·
#41 ·
Yes mam. Saw Cigar win the OP Handicap in 95 I think. If I'm not mistaken it was early in his 16 race streak. Mottt's, the trainer, assistant was Ralph Nicks. His Dad Morris Nicks trained for us in later years and still does for my brother. When Ralph was about eight and I was around twelve we breezed horses for our Dad's in DeKalb TX. Had an occasional cash race. Ralph weighed about 60 llbs and I weighed about 90. Please don't tell my Mom to this day she doesn't know I rode on the brush tracks. lol Ralph is training on his own after a short career as a jockey me I was to big to make a jock. I miss the track.....

#42 ·
Wow you're quite the horse man. Hopefully you can get back to the track soon. You have a lot of history there.

Barb

#45 ·
LOL Barb but that is not how rock hard ten got his name. Insider info regards. Ms. Paulson was a little shall we say off color in her humor. I can't believe she got that name by the Jockey Club.

#46 ·
Thank you. as far as getting back to the track I hope that is what I get back to. There is nothing like leading a winner to the test barn. I assume it is similar to winning a trial. Oh yeah I assume everyone knows by now I was bsing on this thread. I would never put barb wire on a bumper. Now back to the ff table with my thirteen week pup.

#51 ·
Some don't know the culture that RTF used to be. Satire, irony, often used to exaggerate a point, highlight an issue. There is often a rash of new pup owners, unknowingly pushing their pups too far, too fast, with too high of expectations, as well as a bunch of rather conflicting and perhaps, detrimental advice. The OP made such outrageous claims as to FFing a 13 week old, using barbed wire, etc, as a sort of spoof of that, at least, that's how I took it, knowing Mr. Bockman.

#55 ·
You don't have to tear a dog down by dragging it in back of an ATV with a duck in his mouth to train it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.