RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hall of fame nomination question...

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
some of yall know him and some dont and unfortunetely i was never able to meet him but was lucky enough to train with his wife for several years but how would i go about trying to get Rob Montgomery into the HOF? i know he had some good success as a traininer and trained some very nice dogs and qualified for nationals. unfortunetly he passed away years ago but would be nice to see him in there and would love to se the smile on his wifes face for him to get nominated. i know him and dr Ed i think were college roomates right?

#2 ·
​Rob was a great guy. But, what makes you think that he should be in the Hall of Fame?

#3 ·
you know Ted without having known him thats hard to say. i just go off the stories i have been told of him by multiple people and to me maybe sometimes its about who the man was as a person than JUST how many nationals or fc he put on a dog. i know he was considered a great trainer but like i said i heard he was an even better man that went out of his way to help others. and wo knows maybe he isnt worthy,just a question

#4 ·
He was a nice man and a good dog trainer. I never heard of people referring to him as a great dog trainer, but that's just me. Rob had some nice dogs, but none that I would consider great, but again that's just me. The Hall of Fame is not about being a nice guy, which Rob certainly was, and some members of the Hall of Fame are certainly not. It's about being a GREAT handler and/or trainer. There aren't that many people that fit the bill.

#6 ·
Bill

You seem to want to fight with me as a matter of reflex, not reflection.

I was responding to Trevor about why I thought Rob did not belong in the Hall of Fame. I don't know about the Hall of Fame being about "beautiful people." There are certainly plenty of people in that don't fit the bill there.

But I would agree with you that deserving people have not made the cut. So, sure there are GREAT dog trainers that are NOT in the Hall of Fame.

But that doesn't mean that being a GOOD dog trainer qualifies you for the Hall of Fame, which is the only point I was trying to make.

Ted

#8 ·
Basically, it is done by write in ballots. After the ballots are collected the top 5(?) nominees are tabulated, then they send ballots out. And you vote. I don't know what you do to get a ballot. The basic process is described in Bill Daley's promotion of Jazztime for the Hall of Fame

See
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?118107-Jazztime-Nomination-to-the-Retriever-Hall-of-Fame.

#9 ·
For more information on the nomination process, below is a link from the Retriever News that explains the general process. It contains a copy of the nominating ballot and where to send your ballot.
http://www.theretrievernews.com/uploads/5/0/1/0/50103541/hof-ballot.pdf
in addition, there is a link to the Bird Dog Museum site that has the name of past inductees both people and dogs.

I hope this helps.

L

#10 ·
Ted, are you being an elitist? Or just being deliberately obtuse?
The OP, like me , admitted that he didnt know much about Rob Montgomery; however we have been told that putting him into the HOF would make his wife smile.
Isn't that ample qualification for HOF?

On the subject of elitism, I have it on good authority that those green ribbons are the same price as the blue ones. So why in the world are we so damn stingy with the blue ones?
Without increasing the cost to the club, Couldn't we put a whole lot of smiles on many spouses faces if we handed out more of those blue ribbons?

#13 ·
Hahahahahahaha. Bingo.

#12 ·
I was going to stay away from this thread, but then I thought about something that the OP may want to consider about putting someone up for nomination to the RHOF

The process can be heartbreaking and humiliating to a nominee. I have witnessed it with some close family friends. There is probably nothing more disheartening for someone to be told that you are mounting a campaign to get them nominated for the RHOF only to fall short of the necessary votes or by not getting any support at all..

To the OP , do Mr Montgomery's wife a favor and don't make her go thru the agony of thinking that her late husband has a chance to be nominated for the RHOF, only to find out that its a political and popularity contest that has only one or two winners

I have a few friends that I think are worthy of enshrinement based on their accomplishments in the FT game, but I respect and care about them enough that I won't mount a campaign to get them nominated because it would also bring out the naysayers and give people another chance to air dirty laundry, personal vendettas and only do more harm to the legacy they may have already built

I wish the nominating and enshrinement process were different, but it hasn't changed since I was introduced to the game and probably won't in my lifetime, and I do not possess the standing or the clout in the game to get it changed..

I respect and admire those that are in the RHOF, along with the dogs that are in the hall...

There is ONE change that could be made immediately. IMO if a dog is enshrined in the RHOF then the Amateur Owner/Handler should also go in with their dog, after all the dog didn't run itself in the Amateur events especially the National Amateur

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.