RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Line breeding

6K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Gerry Clinchy 
#1 ·
Looking at breeding my female to a male that shares the same grand dam, Afc/fc Dutchman Gold Midnite Eve MH. Any thoughts are appreciated.

#7 ·
There is nothing wrong with linebreeding. Retrievers seem to breed to the "popular sire" at the time, but if you look at most other breeds, like mine - spaniels, linebreeding is used quite often to produce exceptional animals. I picked my dog solely on the fact that out of the 3 litters I was looking at, his breeding was a linebreeding.

#6 ·
Line breeding is a good way to get qualities you want and is very commonly used in almost all domestic animal breeds. Do your homework on the dog you're line breeding on because in addition to the good qualities you'd need to know any weaknesses or hidden problems that you could potentially be doubling up on. My best dog is the product of a breeding between half siblings. It was actually an accidental breeding that I probably would not have intentionally done--the male got out and bred his half sister. They were both out of the same dam by different sires. At the time, he was only a little over a year and had not proven himself worthy of being a breeding prospect (except in his own mind ;) ) but it was one of the nicer litters I ever had. Even though I sold them inexpensively and on limited registration, they all turned out very well and the two that compete are MH and QAA.

#10 ·
Linebreeding is a valuable tool in field breeding but you must research the good and bad. It can be a powerful way to utilize the genes of a great sire. I don't like to do 3 times back though, but I have. I did research a linebreeding on Eve and I attempted it but the breeding did not take.

#11 ·
Every thread about linebreeding has me wonder about the breeding of FC-AFC-CNFC-CAFC Chena River No Surprise. She was obviously a great trial dog and produced very, very accomplished dogs who competed at the top level and also produced.

Does anyone have knowledge of how that breeding came about, and why they decided to breed half siblings rather than linebreeding further back?

Also, if that type of breeding was so successful, why hasn't more breedings like that happened since?

#13 ·
Every thread about linebreeding has me wonder about the breeding of FC-AFC-CNFC-CAFC Chena River No Surprise. She was obviously a great trial dog and produced very, very accomplished dogs who competed at the top level and also produced.

Does anyone have knowledge of how that breeding came about, and why they decided to breed half siblings rather than linebreeding further back?

Also, if that type of breeding was so successful, why hasn't more breedings like that happened since?[/QUOTE

Bred twice with 12 titled offspring including an NFC. Too bad there weren't more breedings like that.

#12 ·
Plenty of folks get hung up on breeding "styles" ....selection is the key first and foremost. The intention with linebreeding and/or inbreeding is to focus and accentuate desired traits and characteristics common to the family or individuals used. It's a great tool when the right selection is made.
Like with any style of breeding utilized it is the breeders selection that should be scrutinized....not the tool by which the breeding is made.
To do otherwise and lay blame is like faulting the hammer because it failed to saw thru a log effectively. The hammer is clearly not the problem in such an instance but the fool wielding it. :)

#14 ·
The first breeding was an accident (Chena River Surprise) half brother to half sister, the second, (Chena River No Surprise) was planned based on the results of the accidental breeding.

#16 ·
HA HA! EdA- we were writing at the same time- I guess I did have it right! :)

#15 ·
Mike

She was a product of two Super Powder offspring (half bro half sis breeding) . I believe, that the first product of that breeding was an accidental breeding, (Chena River Surprise). It worked nicely, so they repeated the breeding, thus naming her Chena River No Surpise.
Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats the jist of it...

#20 ·
Yes you are correct. Twice to each sire. A very close friend of mine had FC H&M's Swamp Harley and talked about him all the time. How great he was.

#21 ·
I'm a newbie. Have been studying breeding and bloodlines in Chessies for only about 3 years. I wish more was known or readily available about line breeding. Chessie info has the inbreeding coefficient but what do the numbers mean. How much is too much. From what I have seen there are lines where there seem to be more talented dogs consistently. But how do you know if pups are never titled and just are great hunting dogs. I also think with a talented line you would also wish to find a less related dog from another good lineage to throw in there.

#22 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.