RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

no no drill / what size corrogated pipe?

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  MissSkeeter 
#1 ·
I found a 20ft. piece of 8 inch corrogated pipe. The common 4 inch looks too small. To transport it I have to cut it in 3 pieces and then it won't be worth the $60.00 it cost. Does anyone have an opinion on what size corrogated pipe to use for a no no drill.

#2 · (Edited)
You can use anything. I used a dead tree branch for years (about 6-8 in in diameter). Lately I have used a 2X6 turned on edge as it is easier to move. I put feet on it so that it will stand up on edge. It is about 6' long. Don't spend all that money for something that can be had from scrap lumber.

#15 ·
You can use anything. I used a dead tree branch for years (about 6-8 in in diameter). Lately I have used a 2X6 turned on edge as it is easier to move. I put feet on it so that it will stand up on edge. It is about 6' long. Don't spend all that money for something that can be had from scrap lumber.

Mitty, See the video I uploaded. The log was about 7'. My 2x6 is 6'.
So what was the original question? A yard work no no drill or a land tune up at 200 yards? I am glad Glen doesn't want to be dicking around.
Thanks Wayne. I was wondering what you used for feet to prop up the lumber so that it stands up on edge.

#3 ·
I like 15". I'd use 8" at that price and try to get 2, 10' pieces if possible.

#4 ·
Glen, Why so long? No no drill isn't done from that far away. If using in blinds, I can understand. But for that I use native logs. but even those aren't 20'

#8 ·
I use these in land tune ups at 200+ yards. I don't want to be dicking around with a six ft pipe.

And I'm saying 2, 10' pieces for 2 separate jumps.

#5 ·
You can use any obstacle, a picnic bench, a log, a line of small shrub(let)s...anything that makes the dog flare. Start small go bigger as pup's skill increases. The important thing is to get enough length so you have a chance to stop the dog before it runs around the object and, on the way back, so you can handle over it. You could use a 2X4 that you prop on rocks.

Around here it is called the sage brush drill.

#7 ·
You can get the plastic perforated drain pipe for a very small price. I think it comes in 8" and about 10' sections.

#10 ·
And I prefer the plastic pipe or bundle of light brush to a 2x4 or similar rigid jump which can easily hurt the dog.

#13 ·
Mitty, See the video I uploaded. The log was about 7'. My 2x6 is 6'.
So what was the original question? A yard work no no drill or a land tune up at 200 yards? I am glad Glen doesn't want to be dicking around.

#19 ·
Original question was no-no drill.

However, using the corrugated plastic pipe, you can move around the field easily setting up however you like. The extra width doesn't hurt you on no-nos IMO.

#14 ·
Just use a couple of 5 gal buckets turned upside down and drill holes in each of them on the sides big enough to slide a piece of pvc (1/2" or bigger) in them. Drill multiple holes at different heights to make the jump adjustable. Light, very portable and can be taken apart.

#16 ·
Mitty, just some short 1X s nailed beneath the 2x6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.