RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

OVER AND UNDER SHOTGUNS (GDG)

11K views 42 replies 40 participants last post by  Lab tech 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy one to be used quail and pheasant hunting? So lets here your recommendations and horror stories. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The new Browning Cynergy is an amazing gun. If I could aford one I would have one. Make sure you take a look at them.

#4 ·
It really depends....if you are only getting an OU for hunting, about any of them that feels good to you will work. The new one by Mossberg I believe is a Turkish gun, but a great deal for the money, as a hunting gun. Same for a Ruger Red Label, although most I've shot have a lot more recoil to me. If you shoot clays as well, or intend to shoot, and I mean several thousand rounds or more a year, then start looking at Browning, Beretta, and others in that price. You basically get what you pay for, but I feel the most bang for the buck is a Browning in the OU market.

#8 ·
Ruger Red Label - least expensive of major brands. Straight forward, no frills, solid gun. Don't fit me well though. Not enough drop at the heel and I end up looking down at the bead. My problem, may fit you fine.

Browning- Citori I believe is the most popular O/U They are heavier than the Red Labels and Berettas. The synergy felt great but was $2k +. They do make a 16 gauge O/U which may interest you if you are looking for something a little lighter but still good for pheasants.

Beretta - my personal favorite. Light weight, nice.

Weatherby / SKB - also very nice same price range as the Browning/Beretta

I wouldn't go with a Remington Spartan, Baikal, or Verona. They are about half price of a Browning but they felt like I was swinging a 2 x 6. Some guys love them. I guess if they feel good, go for it. A buddy of mine has one and its been reliable.

My 2 cents.

Brian

#9 ·
depends on how much you want to spend.

I paid about $700 for a 1964 charles daly made in japan. I bought it from my buddy who bought a new beretta o/u. The momemt I shot the charles daly, i was in heaven. I don't even have to aim 8).

My buddy paid about $1400 for his new beretta and I admit it is a fine shooter and I highly recommend.

I saw a nice italian somethin or other at cabelas in mitchell for $25k.

Little out of my price range though.

#10 ·
Rizzini

I bought a Rizzini 16 ga O/U and had the stock fitted. It's pretty, case hardened receiver, nice wood, etc. Much nicer than most of the O/Us I've looked at - many are just heavy clubs above 20 ga. Feel like a 4X4 to me.

My recomendation: Benelli Ultralight or Montefeltro 20 ga. I just don't shoot double barrel guns as well. But shotguns are personal - get what you like.

The Huglu's imported here by CZ LOOK nice for attractive prices. I was tempted to buy their Ringneck 20 ga SXS.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=62

They make a bunch of O/U's too.

#13 ·
For hunting, and relatively few shots, probably anything (not too cheap) will serve you well. For lots of shooting, skeet, or sporting clays, only Beretta. The cast in the stock, and the lengthened forcing cones make it a pleasure to use. Find a dealer that will take the guns apart, and compare the simplicity of the Berretta to the others.
I have the sporting clays version in 12 gauge and the recoil is less than a field model Winchester 20 guage. Really nice guns. You probably wouldn't want to take it hunting though, too expensive.
If you're right handed Dick's has/had them for $800-$900 I think it's a "Whitewing". If you're left handed (like me) the cast would be backwards and you have to spend more money to get it left. Of course their lower end offerings are only available in right handed, so you have to move up a couple models. They are the only company I know of that sell a stock with cast without a special order. Probably won't have the long forcing cones, but the same inner workings.
Other companies offer long forcing cones but I've no personal experience with them. Makes a big difference if you shoot a lot. Good luck with whatever you choose.

#14 ·
Vern, I have a 28 ga. Browning that I use dove and quail hunting and I like it fine. Light weight and handles good. I also have a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon Two in 12 ga. that I really like. I've used it hunting pheasants a couple times. I use it most often at the Sporting Clays and 5 stand clay shooting. It is a good looking gun and has performed very well. A good gun like that seems to get smoother as you shoot it more.
I do like the quality of the Beretta I own better than the Browning I own. Beretta is about a $ 1,500-$ 1,750 gun as I recall and the Browning was around $ 900.

Gene

#15 ·
CO Retriever said:
The Browning Cynergy is one heck of a gun. Been shooting a Citori for a while and when I shot the Cynergy, I started wondering what the Citori is worth so I can trade up. I'd get one in 20ga.
Before you buy a Cynergy I would shoot one first and shoot it a lot. If it fits thats great!!! Buy it. If it doesn't fit there is very little a gunsmith can do to modify it. I bought one, liked everything about it but the gun just doesn't fit. I even checked Mid West Gunworks and they couldn't help me besides buying a new stock which would cost a fortune.

Pidgeon grade Winchester 101 sweet gun!!!!!!

#28 ·
Before you buy a Cynergy I would shoot one first and shoot it a lot. If it fits thats great!!! Buy it. If it doesn't fit there is very little a gunsmith can do to modify it. I bought one, liked everything about it but the gun just doesn't fit. I even checked Mid West Gunworks and they couldn't help me besides buying a new stock which would cost a fortune.

Pidgeon grade Winchester 101 sweet gun!!!!!!
I've only had mine for 6 months, but I love my Cynergy Nickel Tin. Nothing that I looked at mounted better for me.

#16 ·
o/u

I agree, the Winchester 101 is hard to beat. I have both 12 & 20 ga. when they first came out and love them. I have had the Brownings, Rugers and Weatherbys and still stay with the 101. IMO

Mark

#29 ·
I agree, the Winchester 101 is hard to beat. I have both 12 & 20 ga. when they first came out and love them. I have had the Brownings, Rugers and Weatherbys and still stay with the 101. IMO

Mark
I agree! Have shot my dad's 101 and hands down is my favorite. I have shot doubles my whole life and bought a Browning Citori 12g about 6 yrs ago. Shot a lot of pheasants with it- some ducks, and less doves. It is a neat gun- recently though, I dove to the dark side and bought a Browning Fusion auto. Shamefully have to say----- I LOVE IT! Wont ever sell my double though-

#17 ·
I only have one O/U. It is a Beretta Onyx Pro 12 gauge. It fits me. It works well. I like the way it shoots. I shoot it well. It appears to be well made.

As far as a recommendation?No reason, that I can see, not to give the Beretta a look.

#18 ·
While not fancy, a Stoeger is a good gun that won't break the bank. I have Browning Citori's and Beretta's both of which are great guns, but b/c of the quality, (and cost) I really would never take to a duck blind or a situation where I am fearful of damaging the gun. The Stoeger for a little over $300.00 shoulders nicely, and has shot equally well over the past three seasons for me. Liked my 12 gauge so much that I bought a 20 gauge for doves.

Just an alternative to the high dollar options that we always recommend first.... If I am hard on this gun in the field then I know I haven't just dropped $2000.00 in the drink!

Good luck on your search!

#22 ·
I have 2 O/U shotguns. One franchi Alcione-T in 12ga. and love it it fits me well and is a joy to shoot. The other is a 20ga. IZH imported by EAA it to is a great gun but a lot cheaper that the Franchi. No problems with either gun. But pretty much it comes to fit and feel so go to Gander mountain or some place where you can rub your grubby little paws on every gun they have and shoulder them all. The only reason I mention GM is it is the only store that I have seen that has litterally every gun out on a rack for you to get at without having to ask the guy behind the counter. I thought it was neat.

Good Luck

Has anyone shot or heard anything about the browning cynergy camo dipped guns:confused:

#24 ·
I do a lot of live gunning for field trials and hunt tests. Bought my first O/U for that purpose, a Ruger Red Label 12. I got to liking it so much that I have purchased 2 more, a 20 and a 28 and would buy a 410 if they made one. they aren't real high dollar, but they shoot where you point em and function like a zippo lighter.

If you go to try on shotguns, do so in something like what you will wear when you shoot. Fitting a gun when in a T shirt means the length of pull will be way too long in winter duck hunting garb!

#27 ·
I also do quite a bit of gunning for tests, and agree 100% that the Red Label is the prefect gun for the job.

However, I have since gotten a light weight 20ga Weatherby for upland. Just seems that the older I get, the heavier the Red Label got when lugging it around all day....

#25 ·
All this talk about O/Us got me ta thinkin' that I need a new 20ga O/U myself. My buddy just bought a CZ Ringneck sxs that I LOVE. So, I went out and put a CZ Canvasback 20 on layaway(gotta do that when you're a poor teacher). AWESOME little gun for under $600. Good looks, solid built, and swings nice for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.