RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What are the chances....??

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 ·
That a pup who's parents are both HRCH and has multiple MH and GRHRCH titles as well as a few FC/AFC

will not have the potential to get at least a HRCH?

i know that some pups will probably be better than others but is there a chance one or more could be a complete dud?

Have any of you guys seen a pup with a decent pedigree turn be a complete dud?

I guess what I'm getting at is I see multiple threads about how picking a puppy is "crap shoot"

Does that mean you are going to either have a FT potential dog or a dog with no potential?

or

Does that mean you'll either have a dog with some potential or a dog with FT potential?

#4 ·
I think most of the talk about "washouts" is directed at Field Trial dogs and not gun dogs aka hunt test dogs....

Most dogs with good pedigrees can achieve the upper level hunt test titles....IMO

#5 ·
Kind of a loaded question. Are we talking about getting an HRCH by 5 years old with 20 attempts or by 20-24 months with a minimal failure rate?

I have seen litters where the majority made good HT dogs and there were one or two duds. I have seen other breedings where only one made a dog and rest just qualified due to having four legs and a tail.

My opinion is that with enough training most dogs could get there (HRCH I mean) but are you willing to make the time/ money investment to get there? Most people say yes and then when the dog doesn't get there with 12 months of training they want to give up on the dog. Is that right or wrong is for the individual to decide.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, this will be my new pup. Not looking to be finished at 24 months or running FT. With this dog my expectation or goal will be HRCH or MH. I'm not in hurry and I probably won't run a test unless I know she is rock solid especially at the seasoned and senior level. If it takes 5 years so be it.

#8 ·
There is always a chance a pup my come down with some physical or mental problem not caused by genetics.

#10 ·
Like the ads say: "Prior performance dose not guarantee future earnings".

I have had dogs I gave away as pets out of FC/AFCs and even an NAFC.
Titles upfront in a pedigree only help the odds.
Too many variables to place a number on your chances.
Playing the game needs to be the reward. If you have to win you need a different game.

Tim

#12 ·
Well then I guess we should all just buy dogs from back yard breeders with no titles. I'm not saying I have to "win" but I do have certain goals and expectations. I just want me and my dog to be as successful as we can be with the time and resources I have available. I think most people will agree that the more you spend usually the higher the expectation. Why would someone spend 6k or even 1k on a pup with the mind set of "I just want a dog to hang out with and train and that's all the reward I need"

It of course it isn't a lock by any stretch but you spend the money on dogs with good pedigrees for a reason.

#13 ·
Well then I guess we should all just buy dogs from back yard breeders with no titles.
Look at it this way, if a couple that graduated from college had ten children, would they all be the same? This is not cloning. Would they be expected to graduate from high school? Probably. Would they be expected to all be Doctors? Not likely. If you think you will get your best bet from a BYB with no previous titles from many generations, that is very unlikely. Don't forget the best pedigreed pup can have a really poor trainer also. A lot goes into what happens to the pup after it is sold.

#18 ·
I have no idea what your point is by your OP. There are no guarantees.

The more you do your homework, the better your chances are that you will achieve what you want for HRCH at least.

The crap shoot refers to getting an exceptional dog, usually a field champion, but if $1000 is high for you, good luck with that.

I would not look for a dog with price in mind because over a lifetime, the purchase price is nothing. I would rather have a good dog than a common one.

There are very few really great dogs.

#20 ·
To paraphrase a friend "A small percentage make the Derby List. Then a small percentage of those dogs go on to become an FC."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.