RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

sick pup and docs are stumped!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tobias 
#1 ·
A friend has a 4-mo old pup that presented two days ago with a fever of 104 and diarrhea. Acute onset--off to the doc where the gave her some steroids and medication for diarrhea and sent her home. The pup had just spent two weeks boarding with a friend, picked up on Sunday.

Next day temp spiked again to 105. They put the pup on IV fluids and antibiotics. Ran a full blood panel and did x-rays. I suggested parvo, lepto or a blockage. All bloodwork was "normal" and x-rays showed nothing.

Yesterday afternoon temp was 102.5 and it looked like things were gettiing back to normal but they kept her overnight. Unfortunately temp spiked again overnight to 105.

Docs are stumped which is not very comforting. Anyone have similar experience or any guidance from the veteriarians on this form?

Thanks.

Meredith

#7 ·
Glad she is better.
Sure sounds like a virus to me- I understand the distemper test can be inconclusive..... I had a similar case many years ago. Everything screamed parvo , several tests were negative. Tested for distemper came up negative- But this pup ended up with symptoms going neurological, went blind and deaf . I believe he recovered from the deafness- They also tested for a disease carried by raccoon urine. (not lepto). Never got to the bottom of it-but he did pull through. Vets ended up adopting him, because the owners did not want to deal with the neuro issues.. :(
At any rate- I bleached the property from one end to the other in caution.... She may want to do the same, especially if she has other dogs or pups on the property...

#8 ·
Sounds like the litter I lost, one tested positive for parvo but none of the others. Fluids and meds and 2 of the 11 survived. This was tough to deal with because like what was described blood work showed nothing pups would improve then worsen. Even had 2 treated at ms state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.