The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip and Eye Clearances Required on all retriever pups

Default Hip and Eye Clearances Required on all retriever pups

For any and all labrador puppy litters, please see the announcement at the top of the labrador puppy classifieds. I've been made aware of a little glitch that needed to be fixed. This is the easiest, most effective, short term fix.

Always available by PM.....Chris

Thanks to EACH of you for making RTF what it is...
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Bravo BRAVO!! I wish the AKC would only give limited reg. until clearances were gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by smillerdvm
    Bravo BRAVO!! I wish the AKC would only give limited reg. until clearances were gotten.
    Amen!
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Default Good idea

I would not want the AKC, UKC, gov't, etc making these complicated decisions by simple-minded bureaucratic edicts. But it's a step forward to include this in a public ad.

Thanks, Chris.

Default Re: Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan
    I would not want the AKC, UKC, gov't, etc making these complicated decisions by simple-minded bureaucratic edicts. But it's a step forward to include this in a public ad.

Thanks, Chris.
    Agree on both points!!

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

This change is having other effects as well. After contacting some of the posters, I'm getting notifications that some of the litters have been sold and can be deleted!!

Now if we could just find a way to get everyone to delete their ads (puppies, equipment, etc) once they are sold, we'd really be making progress.

Vicky
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Why just Labs? CHD, PRA & PRD affect other breeds as well.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth
    Why just Labs? CHD, PRA & PRD affect other breeds as well.
    Hey Bob,

Here are my answers.

I've been swamped, as most all of us have been, with job, family, hobby etc. I wanted to do something in a fairly quick timeframe, that addressed the most pressing need. I chose the labrador litters because unlike goldens and chessies, there are many litters of labradors posted daily. There are not nearly as many golden and chessie litters posted on the RTF classifieds. As a result, it makes it easier for the interested market to sort through who's offering what.

I chose to implement the policy where it would have the most impact, the quickest. I personally believe that we should have eye and hip clearnances as a requirement for all registered retriever breeds. If the golden folks, chessie folks, etc. come to me and help me understand that this is the standard for their breeds, we'll probably adopt a similar policy for them.

The goal is not to fund the "cottage industry" that surely some will feel exists with one of the health clearance registries. The goal is to have breeders demonstrate that they are taking precautions to produce and sell puppies with health and function in mind. I'm told that there are litters currently on RTF (labradors) where the breeders have made no attempt to determine physical soundness of the parents' hips or eyes.

Just like the change of the boards from "bumpable/repliable" to not; this is the easiest and clearest way to get away from those abusing the system.

I've gotten PM requests from a few to require health clerances on Goldens...now Bob appears to state that we need it for the chessies too. (I had intended to call my buddy Ken Bora to discuss this on the Chessie front...for some reason, I was of the impression that the Chessie crew may do things a bit differently...probably a false impression.)

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson
    ...for some reason, I was of the impression that the Chessie crew may do things a bit differently...probably a false impression.)

Chris
    Nope, My "Peaks" come from the same folks in Quebec, Hips are eyes are a big deal. Any they stand behind them. My first one was, diagnosed at the early age of 10 months by her bunny hop gait, showed them the X-ray, had her spayed and "BAM!" I had pick of the litter from any litter I wanted of theirs. That pup ended having an excellent rating, and I thought that was very cool. So yes Chris, Hips and eyes are very closely watched by the responsible Chessie breeders I know. The dog can have all the talent in the world but if it has bad hips, snip, snip.
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Bravo!

Question: when are you going to include CNM status as well?
    --
    Chris Barnes