The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hip and Eye Clearances Required on all retriever pups

Quote Originally Posted by CNBarnes
    Bravo!

Question: when are you going to include CNM status as well?
    I don't have a timeline on that and I don't have an answer as to "when" or even an answer "if" that will be required.

For CNM, please ask the breeder(s) of litters that interest you, the specific CNM questions that you may have.

I'm doing a little "research" on the side about CNM. It sure seems like a great idea, but I have toget some questions answered myself before I advocate it being a firm requirement.

Let's face it, from no health clearance requirement, to requiring hips and eyes is a very good start!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

There goes my puppy mill idea, now I have no place to advertise.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson
    Let's face it, from no health clearance requirement, to requiring hips and eyes is a very good start!

Chris
    "OFA" does not include elbows?

Quote Originally Posted by hhlabradors

Chris

Let's face it...from no health clearance requirement, to requiring hips and eyes is a very good start!

Rather than showing crying icons about what's not been done, how about a little "reinforcement of the positive behavior" for what has been done?

8)
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Rather than showing crying icons about what's not been done, how about a little "reinforcement of the positive behavior" for what has been done?

8)
    Like Don Rickles used to always say, "It's a tough room" But good job Chris, It seems the world weighs on your shoulders. We have not seen any Bus and Boys photos in a bit. Stop trying to single handedly fix all that is wrong with the retriever world show us some cute puppy and kid action, OK Dude? 8)
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

ATTA BOY Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hhlabradors

Chris

Let's face it...from no health clearance requirement, to requiring hips and eyes is a very good start!

8)
    Because I believe that elbow dysplasia is more crippling than hip dysplasia, and that elbow clearances are part of the bare minimum package. This (the ability to post litters and sell pups thru RTF) could be a strong enough motivation for some people to do elbows who otherwise wouldn't.

Hips and eyes don't impress me much. Anyone who doesn't do those is way outside the norm expected for a "responsible" breeder, and anyone who buys a pup from a breeder who doesn't do those gets what s/he deserves. I feel leaving out elbows is missing a golden opportunity to really do some good with this.

Would my positive reinforcement really have any effect on your behavior? Somehow, I doubt it. No point wasting either of our time.

Elanor,

I've gotten several PM's from folks with respectfully delivered suggestions and/or requests. I would not say that your approach is a waste of time. I will say that the others' approaches have been more effective and motivating for me personally.

Please and Thank You regards,

Chris

Banned

The goal is to have breeders demonstrate that they are taking precautions to produce and sell puppies with health and function in mind. I'm told that there are litters currently on RTF (labradors) where the breeders have made no attempt to determine physical soundness of the parents' hips or eyes.

Chris
    YES, dogs need to have thier eyes cleared. But ONE # does NOT say the eyes are good 5 years later. There are breeders that do NOT send in the paperwork, but DO test their dogs EVERY year, and supply copies of all the clearance papers to puppy buyers. I have to ask what is better, 1 # or 5-6 sheets showing the dog tested clear every year?
    just wondering aloud.

Default ADS

Thanks chris I have purchased six puppies in the last two years,that RTF was the advertizer.Now it will be even easier to weed out the ones that fall short of at least that standard.We all want the best quality we can find in a retriever,and are willing to pay the price for it.If we buy one , the minimum will be CERF,OFA or Penn Hip,CNM Clear by parentage or tested.Yes, elbows would be nice too.Even with that standard one can end up in heartbreak if the cleared parents are carriers....but the elemant of risk is lower.